Ballet Talk for Dancers
rane

Studio Dilemma

GingerMama

How confusing!

AmyMary

It definitely depends on the studio. DD went en pointe at 10 which is still pretty young but we had to travel five hours to a proper fitter with a letter of recommendation.

As for YAGP that depends on the studio as well. We have so few girls that really anyone who wants to can go but a larger studio has to hold auditions of some  sort because they can only bring so many girls. The teacher has to help them pick a variation, teach the choreography, and it takes a lot of preparation so sometimes they have to be more selective about who gets to go.

GingerMama

Thanks AmyMary! What age do dancers usually start with YAGP?

AmyMary

My DD was in the precompetitive division at 10. I'm not sure the youngest, maybe 9?

They take home scores from professional judges with a critique which can be helpful. The highest scores get to compete for finals in NYC where scholarships can be awarded, although not likely at the youngest ages.

It is definitely more geared toward pre professional dancers who are looking for summer intensives scholarships or opportunities with a professional dance company....and at least where we are the competition is very difficult.

GingerMama

Thanks so much AmyMary! I’m glad I have a better idea about the process now and I will have to pay more attention to which competitions her studio participates in! It was so hard for me to find info online when I searched since the ones she’s doing on her team seem to be varied so the websites had a lot of stuff going on. 

dancemaven

GingerMama, we have a wealth of information on pretty much all issues at all junctures of the ballet journey.  I would highly suggest—as I do for all new members interested in learning more about the journey and in preparation for the next steps in the journey—-to pull up a comfy chair, your favorite drink and spend some time scrolling through the various Forums on the Board, reviewing the Rules and Policies, checking through the Index page for each Forum that interests you, scrolling through the lists of threads, dropping in on those that catch your eye, and just generally getting an overview of what issues exist for this part of your DK’s journey, what issues may be coming up soon, and what issues may be further down the pike that you should perhaps keep in the back of your mind as you travel the road with your DK.

THIS thread has a specific focus (Studio Dilemna, ie, nature and depth of dance genre training at pre-ballet age) and we try our level best to keep threads on topic so that others searching for insight can find what they are looking for.  We are starting to get distracted by comments and are in danger of going off into the weeds.

YAGP is :offtopic: for this thread.  Trust me, there are quite a few threads on pretty much any aspect of YAGP for your perusal.  This thread is not the appropriate place to go into any of that.  (Besides, at 6.5 yrs, your DD need not worry about it or even need to think about it—if ever.  Just read the threads on the Board and hold that information and discussions all in abeyance for now. :) )

GingerMama

Sorry DanceMaven! My mistake!