Ballet Talk for Dancers
GingerMomma519

The pain of leaving?

labrador

So happy for DD, GingerMomma519!

You are not the problem. DD is not the problem. The previous school’s culture  was the problem. So good to be validated and encouraged.

GingerMomma519

It is amazingly good to be validated but even better, just to see DD smile again and be genuinely excited to dance. I hadn't realized how miserable she was over the last 1.5 years until I saw the difference in her coming out of class last night. 

Eligus
2 hours ago, GingerMomma519 said:

I hadn't realized how miserable she was over the last 1.5 years until I saw the difference in her coming out of class last night

I know EXACTLY what you mean.  EXACTLY. 

I'm happy for your DD's experience at the other school, no matter what the placement turns out to be, because that doesn't matter in the long run.  Re-discovering that they love ballet (whether or not they achieve "professional" status) is the real win here. 

Bavalay

GingerMomma519, wonderful!  Thank you for such an uplifting update for your DD.  Looking forward to the next one❣

rane

What happy news! That is so wonderful to hear!

Noodles

What a wonderful turn of events! 

GingerMomma519

We have a level 3 dancer! She went in this morning and took the level 3 class and everyone is in agreement that level 3 is the correct placement for her. Can't tell you how happy DD is. We got the weekly schedule and it is MUCH lighter than the former school. 

Monday - 4:30-6 Ballet, 6-7 Conditioning
Tuesday - 5-5:30 Conditioning/Stretch Class, 5:30-7 ballet
Wednesday - 4:30-6 Ballet, 6-7 Contemporary
Thursday - 5-5:30 Conditioning/Stretch Class, 5:30-7 Ballet
Friday - OFF
Saturday - 10-11 Conditioning Class, 11-12:30 Ballet, 1-2 Gyrotonic Class 
Sunday - OFF

I'm just counting all the free hours we'll have and the fact that she'll be able to eat dinner at a normal hour every night. 

momof5dancers

Oh Wow GingerMomma, I have been reading thread.  Your new schedule looks amazing.  I would love to have one like that.  It sounds like you found the perfect fit and I am glad that you started the process to find a better place for your dd.  I am so happy for her and you.  

I sometimes think of leaving the place we are at for other reasons, but I think the fear of it gets in my way.   Thank you for showing that if you are brave enough you might find a much better place for your child. 

GingerMomma519

I wish I could take the brave credit here. But its DD. She's the one that decided she'd had enough and was ready to move on. I'm just following her lead and going where she seems happy. And yes, the new schedule is amazing and I think maybe more age appropriate for 9 years old than 4:30-9pm 5 nights a week and then 9am-4pm on Saturdays, not including rehearsals. That was a bit much!

Edited by dancemaven
Removed unnecessary full quote of immediately preceding post. Please go to bottom of page to enter your post in a new box.

Bavalay

GingerMomma519, Bravo!  And what a relief to find a better fit; one that appreciates your DD talents and potential.   I suspect you will be amazed by her happiness and progress.  More (like her previous schedule you posted) is not better.  And you are right--the new schedule is more in line with her age.  Congratulations to your level III dancer!  Enjoy the coming dance year and your new studio

GingerMama

What a wonderful update! So happy for you and your DD!

gasguzzler

Wow! so much has happened since I last read this thread. Yippie! I am sooo happy for you and your DD GingerMama519. I just loved reading this story. Best wishes for a wonderful dance season.