Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
EnPointe38

Penché En Pointe

EnPointe38

Hello there! This is my first question topic on BT4D... I hope I’m putting this in the right place.

I have a question about penchés en pointe. I have my 6 o’clock penché on flat, however, I just cannot seem to do it en pointe, for two reasons:

Balance. It is extremely difficult for me to balance while trying to penché en pointe. I am so impressed by everyone who can execute a controlled penché because of this! :) I generally have a hard time balancing in slow piqué arabesques, which is part of the issue. When I piqué in any direction, it feels as though I’m following a rainbow trajectory. The tip of my box hits the ground and my body arcs up and passes right through the top balance point, and keeps going forward. 

Restriction. I think I must be using the wrong muscles to penché. As I said before, it isn’t a problem on flat. But when I go en pointe, even using the barre, the higher my leg goes and my hips rotate, the more restriction I begin to feel in the front quad area of my supporting leg. I also start to feel pulled back off the platform of my shoe. 

Could it be that I am somehow pushing out into the split using my front leg, instead of ... somehow extending my back leg into the split more? My chest is also pretty low to the ground, even on flat, although I try to keep it up as per proper technique.

Do I need to get more mobility in my back (working) leg? 

Thank you!! :) 

Clara 76

It sounds as though you are cutting under with your piqué rather than aiming for a place beyond your physical "reach", if that makes sense. The fact that you can execute a penché in flat shoes (also flat in pointe shoes?) telles me it is the prep step and not the penché itself. I'm also wondering about your pointework/pointe shoes. You said that you have trouble with slow piqué arabesques too. Do you ever get corrections to step onto a straight leg?

EnPointe38

Hi! Thanks for responding! :angelnot:

have heard the correction to step out farther in piqués. Should I be stepping out as far as I can? That seems strange to me! Having long legs in a small studio, I would cover a lot of distance :blushing:

My pointe shoes.... ooh, it’s a long story. I have hard feet to fit... super SUPER wide, compressible, high profile and high arch. After a fitting with Ms. Judy in New York City, I am wearing the Grishko Nova 5X Medium shank, and they have been the best shoes I’ve ever had. They are starting to die, however. (I need to get sewing on the new pair, hehe :thumbsup:)

I haven’t had trouble with bent-leg piqués for a while. I will make sure to think about that the next time I do it, though!

Thanks again!

Clara 76

Ok! Glad you have finally found a shoe and super happy that Miss Judy fit you!!! What a treat!!!!

For piqué arabesque, it's about the coordination of the 2 legs together, with the working leg remaining straight, and the supporting leg engaging the hamstrings, buttocks, and quads enough to propel you onto your working leg. The energy then travels up and down once you've achieved your balance point. Without seeing you dance and watching how you travel from leg-to-leg, I am simply guessing, but because you feel as though you are piquéing in an arc instead of out then up and down through the supporting leg, I'm figuring it's your energy pattern.

Perhaps your movement is stunted by the tiny room? Imagine you are on a stage the next time you work on your piqué arabesque. Even if you can only manage a few it will be worth it to help you discover how to pattern your energy!

Also work on holding the barre and doing your penché en pointe. Analyze what it is you do when you are flat to achieve your penché, then penché in flat shoes on high 3/4 pointe. See what changes. Then apply to when you are en pointe. The penché is quite a "balancing act" for sure!!!!!

EnPointe38
21 minutes ago, Clara 76 said:

What a treat!!!!

It really really was!! She is awesome! :lol:

This is sooooooo helpful. I will try it all at tonight’s class. Thank you so much! :jump:

Clara 76

Let me know if it helps!

EnPointe38

Today in class I didn’t get a chance to practice the penchés in my pointe shoes, but I did manage to steal a few minutes between barre and center during technique class! Much to my surprise, after focusing specifically on controlling my piqué energy as well as stepping out and transferring my hips to the right spot, I was actually able to do a piqué arabesque to 6 O’clock penché in the center with control, and come out of it nicely!!!! First time ever!!! I cannot wait to start working on this en pointe. (Hopefully I’ll get a chance tomorrow. :lol:

Thank you so much for helping me! 

Clara 76

I'm happy it helped. 😊