Ballet Talk for Dancers
DancingMom6

Underwear dance leotards under dance costumes?

DancingMom6

My 15-years old daughter wears nude-color underwear leotard underneath her dance costume when performing in youth ballet group. She wants me to buy another piece for her but thong-backed to be worn under a costume with a harem dance trousers. When I try to oppose she keeps telling me other girls in their group wear even more revealing underwear leotards, narrow both in the back and in the front. Shall I follow her wish or shall I have her to stay with a regular cut? For me, dance and ballet were always about full-back, totally modest clothing, including underwear (when worn). Thongs are for beach as swimwear or under skin-tight dresses or trousers as an underwear, but not for dancing, or?

5678StarMom

If there are tights worn, no underwear is needed as the tights act as undergarments. When there aren't tights, particularly in company owned costumes, DD16 wears seamless nude underwear, either thong or bikini style depending on the costume. She doesn't wear anything on her top half. She has been wearing thongs when needed since she was 11. I don't think that undergarments of whatever style indicate modesty or lack there of. They are there to be a barrier to the costume or add support only.

DancingMom6

Thanks! She wants me to buy the Bloch L3147NUD leotard for the performance. I understand the upper part if the costume should be worn over something supportive, securing and covering. Though, I do not know what "even more narrow in back and front" can be worn, speaking about the lower half. 

BalletFamily

That looks like a very useful product.  I bet DD14 would appreciate it for certain costumes.  It makes a lot of sense to me.  I know that thongs are associated with being sexy and all that, but they're really just practical in a case where you want underwear but don't want lines showing under a costume.   If you're okay with thongs for beachwear and under clothes where you don't want a panty line, I'm not sure why this is any different.  My only hesitation would be if my daughter would wear it more than once before she outgrows it.  But if it's useful, I'd buy it no problem.

DancingMom6

Ok, thanks! We have just orderd two pieces of the Bloch beige leotard. On this occasion, my daughter also showed me what she saw the other girl(?s) was wearing: [...]

I still believe the Bloch leotard will be more than enough. Thanks for all your advices! 

Edited by GTLS Designs
Removed Link to Blog