Ballet Talk for Dancers
Afarin

How far can l go in ballet ?

Afarin

I been dancing  ballet for two years since I was 16. When I wanted to start lots of people told me that you can never dance ballet perfectly cause you are too old. I know the importance of age in ballet. I just want to know that how far a person like me can go in ballet. Is there any chance to enter the ballet industry?

Chasse Away

SEE FULL POST BELOW

But to be honest, dance is unforgiving in every way that isn’t personal. If you are dancing to be “good” or to “get a job” you are in it for the wrong reasons and it will always feel like a burden. Dance because you enjoy it, because it makes you happy! Then it doesn’t matter where you end up dancing and whether you get paid to do it. It needs to be enough just to dance. 

Victoria Leigh
3 hours ago, Chasse Away said:

THIS POST IS BY CHASSE AWAY.  I WAS TRYIING TO QUOTE THE LAST PARAGRAPH AND MADE A BIG MISTAKE!  IT PUT THE WHOLE POST UNDER MY NAME.  SO SORRY, CHASSE AWAY, AND I DO LOVE THE LAST PARAGRAPH!!!

You could maybe get a job with a company doing media or other organizational work? Or set design and costume design? Or like financing.

Or maybe if you train really hard you might be able to join a contemporary company. 

Or find an amateur ballet company.

To get a job as a ballet dance you really need to be training 6 days a week at this point, and have like years of serious ballet training behind you. You could do everything right, have the right body, the right feet, the right school since the age of 8 or 9, AND STILL not get a job as a ballet dancer. It’s just the reality, a lot of people want to be ballet dancers but not a lot of companies are hiring.

I also wouldn’t recommend teaching. To be a strong ballet teacher you need to have lots of ballet training (6 days a week) and preferably time as a professional, on top of your post secondary dance teaching program. It’s not just enough to study dance for 5 years and turn around and teach it, you’ll be selling your students short of the artistry and understanding that only comes from dancing in a company. The world has to many fandoms teaching ballet whose classes are too short, teach improper technique, and are frankly a huge waste of money. 

But to be honest, dance is unforgiving in every way that isn’t personal. If you are dancing to be “good” or to “get a job” you are in it for the wrong reasons and it will always feel like a burden. Dance because you enjoy it, because it makes you happy! Then it doesn’t matter where you end up dancing and whether you get paid to do it. It needs to be enough just to dance. 

Redbookish

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Afarin, and to the Adult Ballet students section of the messageboard. As ChasseAway says, there are many possibilities of working in and with dance - as a paying job, or for the love of it. But also, as ChasseAway also says, the most important thing is to study dance for the love of it.

It is a wonderful more-than-hobby - you will be learning an art, a craft and a discipline, with beautiful music. While it's unlikely that you'll perform on stage as a ballet dancer as a way of earning your living, there are amateur ballet companies everywhere, and there are studios and teachers in most areas in many countries, who take adult ballet students seriously and seek to help them become the best dancers they can be.

So don't second guess the future - just get to class!