Ballet Talk for Dancers

How do I prevent Unibutt with my tights?

Aparedes11

Aparedes11

I wanted to know if there was a trick to preventing unibutt with men’s tights and getting the dance belt to fit better with them. Could they be the brand or the size? I wear capezio tights size large and dance belt.

Kalashnikov

Hi

it's important to buy them large enough. You need enough material with not too much tension to get them to stay where you placed them.

Second is material: Sometimes a different material from the same manufacturer fits tighter (more unibutt) than the other.

Third: Capezio (MT11?) sucks. To me the material is horrible.

Try Wear Moi Hamada or Solo. They are made of cotton with added elastane.
The microfiber models of Wear Moi fit tighter.

I'm wearing Hamada in L.

The rest is pulling them up good enough, starting at the calfs and pulling further up the "cheeks" on each side.

Edited by vrsfanatic
Unnecessary information.
  • 1 year later...

Kalashnikov is right about sizing and fabric, but HOW you put on a pair of tights properly has a big role in it too (which I'll explain since many guys just don't know)

The best tights I ever found were made by Degas (in France).  American brands just never really did it for me...and BTW Lycra sucks! 

IMO the best fabric is MERYL.  Bamboo is OK too.  They are both super soft (like cotton), real stretchy without losing shape, wick sweat much better than lycra, and they just feel so wonderful on your body LOL!  What's real nice is that as your start to move around in them and build up a sweat, they just sort of mold to your body like a second skin (unike lycra which sort of slips around and you're constantly trying to readjust it).  

Degas's size charts are pretty accurate but I order 1 size larger so I can really pull the waistband up to my chest when I pull them on, and then fold the waistband down to my waist (which is key to avoiding the unibutt look). 

Surprisingly a lot of guys don't realize how important this is, and if you don't have a large enough size of tights, you can't do this properly. 

Basically, you pull the tights on, smooth them up over your calves and thighs, and then pull the waistband up as high as you can up to your chest and sort of wiggle your butt around until you can feel the back of the tights getting up in between your buttocks!

Then (and this is KEY) you carefully FOLD (not roll) the waistband down to your waist, which locks the waistband in place on your waist, and keeps the back of the tights well up between your buttocks.  Once you start to move around and work up a sweat, they just stay in place perfectly.  

One other suggestion though I'm sure some will disagree is that supplemental gym training is also important in order to really shape the glutes for a real rounded look.  Work int he studio is really not targeted enough.

I work out in a gym a few times a week doing barbell training specifically for shaping the glutes and strengthening the posterior core (i.e.: front rack squats, deadlifts, walking lunges with dumbbells, and hip thrusts).  I don't use real heavy weights, but you get a real burn from it, and over time it pays off.  If you don't have a rounded shape in your glutes, it's kind of hard to avoid a unibutt!

Also, you really need to have EXTREMELY low body fat (like around 6% maximum) so minimal carbs and proper nutrition is pretty important.

Anyway, if you want to check Degas tights and leotards, you pretty much have to buy them from France (they do mail order and it takes about a month to get them in the USA).  The store I get mine from is:  http://www.enmodedanse.com/ in Paris, and they are the official supplier to Ecole Danse de l’Opéra national de Paris which has all of their students wear Degas as the standard practice uniform for classes. 

The school specifies Grey tights (Degas 601H) and white thong back leotard (Degas 9755H) shown in my picture below.  I think the combination looks great and that's what I always order  (both in Meryl fabric and 1 size larger in the tights).

They're not cheap, but they are worth it IMO.

Edited by Miss Persistent
Photograph removed as per BT4D policy
StormTrouper

(The editing (censoring) for this thread seems a wee bit conservative given that male ballet performers today are basically emulating the ideals of ancient greek and roman marble statues.  Next we’ll all need to wear fig leaves.)

It is less the type* of material (fabric) and more the cut of the material that determines the lay of fabric (if one is familiar with tailoring, which is all about fitting flat 2 dimensional cloth to the 3 dimensional human form.  I sew my own costumes so custom tailor.) 

*Agreed: Capezio’s heavier denier nylon knitted tights are unibutt central.

Stretch fabric can stretch in 1 direction, in 2 directions or in 4 directions, the latter being the most conformal to spherical forms and shapes.  Cleavage is achieved more 3 dimensionally authentically (less unibutt) when the cutting pattern makes allowances for same, and when there is ample fabric (that is, you are not wearing a size too small or too big).  Gluteal volumes and shapes vary among dancers, so some cleavage is going to be more pronounced for some than for other dancers, analagous to differences in upper chest topography.

While the earlier poster referred to folding the waist hem down, the better way for achieving and maintaining high definition is through the use of elastic suspenders that are properly tensioned (neither too tightly nor too loosely). The other determining factor is the back seam/inseam placement.  The easiest way to explain this is to compare pulling the lower torso fabric anteriorally (causing more uni butt) vs pulling it posteriorally.  This is an adjustment (pulling posteriorally) that one can make AFTER pulling the waistband and crotch up (after tensioning the materially up both legs, in order to correctly position the back seam so as to minimize unibutt. The fabric is seated and located properly.  

The suspenders at the back are sewn in a V-shape attached to the middle of the waist hem so the tension force is pulling directly UPWARDS verically in line with the spine.  Obviously this tension also transfers down the stretchy central back seam of the leggings (i.e. where the two legs are joined together) as it passes between the legs. (A similar form fitting look can be achieved wearing a properly sized unitard.)

Here is a trick I learned while a supernumerary with an A-class company from a seasoned, 25 year veteran male principal: he applied rosin dust to his glutes and thighs (rather like a dusting of talcum powder) before he donned his tights. When combined with his perspiration, the fabric stuck or adhered to his skin contours and stayed positioned and didnt shift, yet stretched as he moved.  His tights were as close to being ‘painted on’ as they could possibly have been, like a curvetious veneer layer or coating over his skin.  (After each performance, the mens tights are all collected and laundered, ready for the next performance in the run).

(I also learned that instead of using rosin on the soles of your soft shoes, you can also use drops of regular coca cola (not diet or sugar free) to gain more frictional grip with the floor.)

So some tips, tricks and hacks from the front line 🙂

Also consider:

Wear Moi

M. Stevens

(Boys Dance Too just fire saled all of their men’s tights due to covid business disruption.  Their tights were cut to fit insanely well.)

Edited by StormTrouper
Miss Persistent
5 hours ago, StormTrouper said:

(The editing (censoring) for this thread seems a wee bit conservative given that male ballet performers today are basically emulating the ideals of ancient greek and roman marble statues.  Next we’ll all need to wear fig leaves.)

The photo was removes not due to its content, but due to BT4D rules which state no photos are allowed to be posted.

I did attempt to convert your photo to a link (which is allowed) however after the board update the procedure has change and I inadvertently deleted the picture, I do apologise. You are welcome to repost a link to the picture in your original post.

StormTrouper
On 9/30/2020 at 2:55 AM, Miss Persistent said:

The photo was removed not due to its content, but due to BT4D rules which state no photos are allowed to be posted.  I did attempt to convert your photo to a link (which is allowed) however after the board update, the procedure has changed... and I inadvertently deleted the picture, I do apologise. You are welcome to repost a link to the picture in your original post.

I was referring to edits to previous posts in this thread.  (I have no idea what they might have been about).  Thanks to the mods and admins though.

For clarification, is it alright to post a link to an illustrative video? (My link to a video was converted into an image excerpted from the video, like when you post a video link on Facebook, I think.  Still learning my way around this great forum, with its norms and practices, thanks for your understanding.  (I do appreciate that images can’t be stored (posted) because they consume so much memory on servers.)

[The video link I posted was illustrative of a male danseur wearing a typical, standard (romantic, revealing) costume (tunic with white tights).  It served to illustrate my point about costumers and artistic directors making choices to emulate the lithe, sleek lines of ancient greek and roman marble masculine statues, with their defined, sculpted musculature from the lower torso down.  Since this is how males are commonly portrayed in ballet culture on stage under bright lights, it helps to explain why one might be reluctant to talk about the aesthetics of male representation in ballet (and why men in ballet wear tights stereotypically), was the intent of the link being posted.]

Edited by StormTrouper
Miss Persistent

All members are reminded that this is an organised and moderated forum where members are expected to abide by BT4D policies.  These can be found here;

https://dancers.invisionzone.com/forum/160-ballet-talk-for-dancers-policies-and-rules/

Any moderated or edited posts display a short explanation of why or what has been edited.

This topic has strayed from its original intent, and as such any further irrelevant posts or information may be hidden to keep discussion flowing and on topic.