Ballet Talk for Dancers

Vaganova/Russian European Schools

Hi all,

My dd will be auditioning for 2020 entry into 16+ fulltime training.  I'm trying to compile a list of schools in Europe that use Russian/Vaganova method as this is what she is trained in and would like to continue with.  I would be so grateful if anyone could help me add to it.    So far I have:

John Cranko - Germany

School of the Hamburg Ballet - Germany

State Ballet School of Berlin - Germany

Akademie des Tanzes Mannheim - Germany

• 2 months later...

We are moving to Germany in the Spring so I am currently in full-on search for the same. The German schools are probably the cheapest because they normally have free tuition. If your DD is 17 she could do the European "Grand audition" and many schools come there to "pick" their students or even offer junior company contracts but I don't have first-hand information for it other than through another parent who took her daughter there last year, and the research I have done myself. I have not checked Spanish schools but I know there is at least one in Barcelona.

Ballet Academy University of Music and Performing Arts, Munich (Hohcschule fur Tanz Munchen)

London Russian Ballet

Masters of Russian Ballet, London

Princess Grace Monaco

Dutch (not sure but I think it's also Vaganova)

**These are all super competitive and I also get the feeling that they are quite specific on height/weight/look since some of them act as feeders to a state ballet where they have height requirements (Bayerische Ballett Munich it's 5'5 I think)

I also think the Finish and Swedish ones are Vaganova based. The Swedish Royal ballet has a one-year international course open to international students. We are considering this one since I believe that tuition is free there too. All you pay is the dorm.

Good luck!

soltova, I am curious about the height requirement you mentioned. Is it your understanding that 5'5 is the minimum height requirement for most state sponsored ballet companies in Europe?

Thanks!

No, definitely not all all but when they announce auditions for company positions  they sometimes have height requirements. I recently saw that Bayerische (Munich) had 5’5. So they tend to only take taller dancers to their junior company and perhaps it also influences who they take for upper school -or hohschule - training (just a guess there). I’ve heard that Germany is “tall” but there are many other countries in Europe!

• 11 months later...
On 9/28/2019 at 7:02 PM, soltova said:

We are moving to Germany in the Spring so I am currently in full-on search for the same. The German schools are probably the cheapest because they normally have free tuition. If your DD is 17 she could do the European "Grand audition" and many schools come there to "pick" their students or even offer junior company contracts but I don't have first-hand information for it other than through another parent who took her daughter there last year, and the research I have done myself. I have not checked Spanish schools but I know there is at least one in Barcelona.

Ballet Academy University of Music and Performing Arts, Munich (Hohcschule fur Tanz Munchen)

London Russian Ballet

Masters of Russian Ballet, London

Princess Grace Monaco

Dutch (not sure but I think it's also Vaganova)

**These are all super competitive and I also get the feeling that they are quite specific on height/weight/look since some of them act as feeders to a state ballet where they have height requirements (Bayerische Ballett Munich it's 5'5 I think)

I also think the Finish and Swedish ones are Vaganova based. The Swedish Royal ballet has a one-year international course open to international students. We are considering this one since I believe that tuition is free there too. All you pay is the dorm.

Good luck!

Hi Soltova - how did your search for schools go?  We decided to wait another year but its time to plan audition videos now.

I contacted Royal Swedish but they said you have to be fluent in Swedish for their full-time course and my dd feels that she would not have enough training under her belt after only one year for the international course, so thats the end of that one!  As far as I know Master of Russian Ballet in London are not a full time school, they hold evening classes and workshops so I have been informed.

Doubleturn

Yes you are correct - Masters of Ballet Academy is geared to providing training to students after their nomal academic schooling. They have great success in sending pupils on to the major vocational schhols in UK, Europe and Russia. Their intensives might be worth looking at.

Kirrian, I realize that you have been a member for a while and it is nice to see you posting, however please do not quote the entire text of the poster to whom you are replying. 

If there is a specific statement within their post that you feel is important to quote that is alright, but to quote the entire post takes up too much bandwidth and make the thread harder to read for others. 

Thank you!