Ballet Talk for Dancers
Kirrian

Vaganova/Russian European Schools

Kirrian

Hi all,

My dd will be auditioning for 2020 entry into 16+ fulltime training.  I'm trying to compile a list of schools in Europe that use Russian/Vaganova method as this is what she is trained in and would like to continue with.  I would be so grateful if anyone could help me add to it.    So far I have:

John Cranko - Germany

School of the Hamburg Ballet - Germany

State Ballet School of Berlin - Germany

Akademie des Tanzes Mannheim - Germany

soltova

We are moving to Germany in the Spring so I am currently in full-on search for the same. The German schools are probably the cheapest because they normally have free tuition. If your DD is 17 she could do the European "Grand audition" and many schools come there to "pick" their students or even offer junior company contracts but I don't have first-hand information for it other than through another parent who took her daughter there last year, and the research I have done myself. I have not checked Spanish schools but I know there is at least one in Barcelona.

Ballet Academy University of Music and Performing Arts, Munich (Hohcschule fur Tanz Munchen)

London Russian Ballet

Masters of Russian Ballet, London

Princess Grace Monaco

Dutch (not sure but I think it's also Vaganova)

**These are all super competitive and I also get the feeling that they are quite specific on height/weight/look since some of them act as feeders to a state ballet where they have height requirements (Bayerische Ballett Munich it's 5'5 I think)

I also think the Finish and Swedish ones are Vaganova based. The Swedish Royal ballet has a one-year international course open to international students. We are considering this one since I believe that tuition is free there too. All you pay is the dorm.

Good luck!

Ballet6706

Soltova - I am just curious - any idea where I can find more information on the european grand audition?

Juniper Beanz

soltova, I am curious about the height requirement you mentioned. Is it your understanding that 5'5 is the minimum height requirement for most state sponsored ballet companies in Europe?

Thanks!

soltova

No, definitely not all all but when they announce auditions for company positions  they sometimes have height requirements. I recently saw that Bayerische (Munich) had 5’5. So they tend to only take taller dancers to their junior company and perhaps it also influences who they take for upper school -or hohschule - training (just a guess there). I’ve heard that Germany is “tall” but there are many other countries in Europe!