Ballet Talk for Dancers
mbcroft

RAD QUESTION FOR 4 YR OLD

mbcroft

Hello,

My daughter just finished her first year of mini recreational ballet. She just turned 4 in june 2019. Her teacher has advanced her to primary ballet for next year but i'm worried that she will feel out of place with older kids. I'm thinking it's usually 6 & 7 year olds? Should I be concerned or trust the teacher and her recommendation?

I know she wouldn't even be eligible to take her first exam until fall of 2020, so I'm not sure how to feel about everything..

DanceMumNYC

Hi mbcroft, to my knowledge, pre-ballet/primary classes are for 3-6 year olds & the “real”/leveled ballet training starts at age 7 or 8. I don’t think there’s any reason to be concerned at all since she will most likely be in primary for a few years either way. If there’s something specific that concerns you, such as the examination, it may be helpful to discuss it with your child’s teacher. She/He may be able to provide clarity as to why they want to move your child up & what that will entail.

When moving a younger child ahead, my biggest concern is the increased risk for injuries due to the growing body and increased classes. But, in our experience, all primary classes are about 1 hour once/week & there’s no harm in that. You can ask the teacher if there will be added classes/hours if your child moves ahead.

Another thing to consider is the developmental level & maturity of children. Generally speaking, 4 year olds and 6-7 year old children who attend school are very different. Will your daughter be the only 4 year old in this class? Has she been around kids 1-3 years older than her before? I believe she will be okay in a ballet setting, but only you know your child. 

These are just some things to consider, but again, generally speaking, I don’t think there will be any harm in promoting her. My daughter was moved ahead as she skipped a primary level & went right into pre-prof ballet training 2x/week. She was 7 and the other kids were 8-9, but it wasn’t a problem at all. They wouldn’t have known her age if they didn’t ask. It was more time-consuming since she went from one 1-hour class/week to two 1.5-hour classes per week & there was sometimes a 3rd class added for rehearsal. Training-wise, it was incredible! She worked hard to keep up with the girls 1-2 years older than her, but it was definitely possible. I will always credit that experience for sparking her interest in dance as she became serious about it after working so hard & so many doors opened for her from there. 

I wish you & your daughter all the best as you begin this journey!