Ballet Talk for Dancers
Rich Beatt

Jumping from RAD grade 6 to a senior ballet (age14/16 and up

Rich Beatt

Hi dancers, I have just registered for an advanced ballet class. It is with older youth. I’m a little intimidated by the advancement. I won’t be dancing en pointe. But that is my goal one day:)

Is the leap too much too soon?!

Edited by Rich Beatt

Chasse Away

Which method are you studying grade 6 in? RAD, Cecchetti, something else?

Grades are different depending on methods, and descriptions like “Advanced”  vary greatly between schools. 

Usually I support taking the chance and trying a harder class, be prepared to be in WAY over your head, but being challenged like that builds character (and confidence, if you aren’t afraid to be lost in a ballet class you must not be afraid of much!). Plus, sometimes taking the leap into a harder level is a necessary one, dancers are bound to outgrow their current class but 99% the next level up is NOT their “goldilocks” level. The lower level is to easy, the upper level is to hard, sometimes you just have to dance the upper level class and be the worst one there. Mostly everyone has been there, I know I have. But you’ll get better don’t worry. 

HOWEVER, if we are talking like RAD grade 6 and like Advanced classes the way I know them, I think your being very ambitious. Why not try an intermediate class first? Just be prepared for things to move quickly. Take your time and ask questions but don’t hold up the class for the other dancers. And when dancing with other dancers, if you don’t know what you are doing, stay behind the people who do, and make sure you don’t end up blocking someone’s dance path! 

Best of luck!

Rich Beatt

Yes it is RAD level 6 but the new class is not RAD, actually categorized as Senior ballet with ages 15 and up. This particular studio’s “intermediate” the owner said, would be currently doing comparable grade 5 RAD level work with ages 10 and up. She also said the SR girls are quite advanced and there was some chatter among some of the students present during our discussion, that said they thought they were doing Intermediate RAD level and another said advanced so...hard to know until I’m there! 

Chasse Away

Hmm interesting, well if the owner told you to try that class then they probably know if it’s a good fit for you better then I would.

It totally varies on schools. I took my RAD up to Advanced 1 so I’m familiar with the levels, then I switched to a Vaganova School. At this new school I would say their Intermediate Adult is comparable to RAD intermediate and Advanced Adult or the Senior Ballet classes is comparable or above RAD Advanced 2. I’ve taken other “advanced” classes and other “senior” classes that have been at what I would consider RAD intermediate or even grade 6 depending on the school. 

But anyways, it sounds like you’ll be fine! It’s okay if you feel lost or overwhelmed, it’s totally natural and happens to everyone. Just do your best to follow along to the combinations and stick them out to the end. You’ll adjust to the class I promise!