Ballet Talk for Dancers
oniceskates

Home School - Switching States

oniceskates

When offered a spot in a Professional Training program in another state how do you handle the homeschool portion?  Do you continue to homeschool under the state your residence is in or do you switch to the state the dancer is in?

I currently homeschool as a private school.  In our state, you submit a Private School Affidavit in October.  This allows me to choose the curriculum and opt out of state testing.  I am required to keep attendance, grades and immunization records.  No other reporting is required.

labrador

I believe you have to comply with the rules of the state of residence. If DK is not relocating with a relative, or if the program does not offer supervised dormitory, you may need to comply with the homeschool laws of both the sending state and the receiving state. 

You can contact Homeschool Legal Defense Association for expert legal advice. 

dancerdancer

I think it depends on the states involved, and how each state's statutes are written. Some states want you to go by which state the student actually lives in, and others by which state is the student's legal residence. I can conceive of a situation, as Labrador says, where you might have to comply with both, if their regulations are written so that they both have jurisdiction. I would start by checking with each state to see what they would require of you in this situation.

For example, in my state (NC), if a child is living here for more than 30 days, then you must file as a NC homeschool, even if the child's primary residence is out of state.  This applies even if they are officially registered with a virtual school in another state. Whether you would then also have to stay registered in your home state as well would depend on their requirements.

In general, I've found that it is most likely that you will need to at least be registered in the state where the child is actually spending their time.  I also suspect that a lot of people don't look into it that closely and assume that they can continue to homeschool as they were, since the legal residence didn't change. But for peace of mind, I would want to know that I was doing it properly.

oniceskates

Thank you Labrador and dancerdancer for your responses.  I am going to submit a HSLDA membership application. 

popsicle1010

Just in case people are not familiar with HSLDA, it is worth noting that they have a strong political agenda and orientation.  This is something to consider, in addition to the fact that they can provide information about homeschooling.

You can get direct information about state homeschooling requirements from the states themselves.

Good luck in your journey!

Ballerinamom2girls

Depends on the state your contacting.  It would be a disaster to try and get legal advice from my state.  They have no idea what's going on.  They regularly misinterpret their own law on homeschooling.

labrador

Popsicle1010, 

I have no interest in discussing politics on this board. I am writing solely to benefit anyone on this board, whose dance journey intersects with homeschooling. I have personal experience with state DOEs in multiple states providing inaccurate information to the detriment of homeschoolers. HSLDA provided my family with correct information. Never was I asked about my political affiliation, nor was I asked to donate to any political cause in exchange for their excellent legal advice regarding homeschooling. They provide legal guidance and representation to homeschoolers all over the world. If anyone’s dance journey intersects with homeschooling, and they need expert legal advice, there is no need to fear that HSLDA cannot help unless, a homeschooler passed a political litmus test. The list of active and settled court cases on their website proves it.

tentative

HLSDA membership does provide things state and their informational websites do not, however. They offer an emergency contact, legal advice and on-going updates. They offer help with documentation and discounts. They have knowledge of precedents in each individual state. They are pro-homeschool by the very nature of their existence. 

When we homeschooled we chose not to use HSLDA because states we resided in or states where our dancers resided were very easy to homeschool in. The schools were also very accommodating--it benefited them, of course. But we began homeschooling over sixteen years ago and our years of homeschooling are completed. If I was homeschooling currently I would personally consider a membership. Many states are difficult enough to deal with if you reside in them and if your child is residing in a different state that complicates matters. 

Best wishes! 

(Edited to note I was posting simultaneously while labrador and Ballerinamom2girls posted.)

Edited by tentative
Responding at the same time others were.

labrador

tentative, 

Indeed, the legal aspect of homeschooling varies depending on state, county etc. 

Again, this is for the families whose dance journey intersects with homeschooling. Anyone on this board who is an expert in family law is more than welcome to contribute. Homeschooling  families are more vulnerable to being charged with truancy and even educational neglect than families whose children attend a brick and mortar schoo. The trigger is often a neighbor who believes that children need to be educated in a brick and mortar school, or a school board official who oversteps their boundaries.

It is important to have competent legal advice and guidance, especially when the student is homeschooling away from their family in another  state while pursuing dance training. In these cases two legal systems of two states need to be understood.

Ballet6706

Okay ... just so I am clear ... my child is attending the public virtual school offered by the state of her legal residence - so she is subject to state testing - but it is possible that I will need to file something with the state that she is currently residing in? 

I know there is a difference between homeschool and virtual school (in some cases) but virtual school was mentioned above so it gave me pause.

dancerdancer

Hmmm. Now that is a bit different. If your child is enrolled in full time public school, then she technically isn’t a homeschooler- she is a public school student - and I would think homeschooling laws would not apply.

I’m not as familiar with the public virtual schools as I am with homeschooling, so I’m not 100% sure, though. 

dancerdancer

Also, since I think I was the one who mentioned the term “virtual school”, I thought I should clarify what I meant. You can be enrolled in a virtual school as a homeschooler or as a public school student, and I did not mean to include the public virtual schools, since we were originally talking about homeschooling. I should have been more clear in my wording, because it does get confusing. I was referring to the private virtual schools that many homeschoolers use. (And sometimes they are even the same curriculum providers with the same software and coursework as the public virtual schools, so it definitely gets confusing.)  Typically, if you enroll as a homeschooler and personally pay for the tuition, etc, then you would fall under homeschool law, and if you enroll through a public school and tuition is paid by public school funding, then you are a public school student. So the part I’m not as familiar with is how different states treat students who are enrolled in out-of-state public schools.

labrador

It depends on the state. A child can be considered enrolled in a virtual school, private or public, in the state where the virtual school is registered. However, if the child resides in a different state than where the school is registered, the state of residence may consider this child homeschooled, and require compliance with its homeschool laws.

For example, Seton Academy is a private parochial school in Virginia. Homeschoolers use their curriculum, as well as their grading and testing services in other states. In Virginia, Seton students are enrolled in a private school. In Wisconsin, families who use Seton are homeschooled, even though they receive report cards from a parochial school in Virginia. 

Likewise, Abeka is a Christian school in Florida. Homeschoolers use their curriculum and their virtual K-12 services in other states. In Florida, a student at Abeka is considered enrolled in a private school. In TN a student is considered homeschooled even though they receive report cards from a private school in Florida.

As for virtual public schools, states make their own policies whether they do or don’t consider enrollment in schools out of state equivalent to enrollment in their own public school.

popsicle1010

labrador, I agree with you that a political discussion is not appropriate to this site nor this thread.  However, I do think it is responsible to let people know that HSLDA has a strong political orientation and wields its political power along a very specific spectrum, in addition to providing information about homeschooling.  Letting people know that they have a definite political agenda simply invites those who read about them in this thread and may not already be familiar with them to research the organization, if they so choose, to become informed about their politics.  If no one mentions that HSLDA has a definite political orientation, readers may not realize that could be a consideration in whether or not the group will work for them as a resource related to homeschooling.  

In the spirit of BTFD, readers can do their own research and draw their own conclusions about what works for them. Best of luck to everyone on the journey!

dancemaven

MODERATOR HAT:
And now let’s forego further comments about HSLDA and leave any further discussions focused on HSLDA for each to research, evaluate, and decide on own and return to the discussion that is the focus of this thread. :thumbsup: