Ballet Talk for Dancers

back breathing...

skip

when i was searching through the topics written during the period that i was in the states...i found a topic about back breathing...

like the girl who started the topic, i sometimes hold my breath really badly, to hold my abs...my teacher told me that i had to learn how to use my back to breathe...

i was wondering though, if there are any good exercises to learn / improve back breathing...anything simple to do to master it???

~SKIP~

Skip, do you take voice classes (singing)? Or do you play a wind instrument? It's the same sort of breathing technique used in those disciplines. It prevents the heaving chest, or holding the breath, or breathing through the stomach, which looks really funny. It involves using the diaphragm completely and keeping the torso's exterior muscles from doing a lot of unneeded work in taking a full breath.:)

The only way to learn this technique is, of course, learning how it feels, and then practice, practice, practice! Try a few voice classes or ask a friend who is a really good wind instrument player to show you how they breathe. I think you'll be surprised.:)

i'm sorry major johnson, but i don't take none of the two kind of classes...also, my new schoolyear starts next week and i would have to leave home at 5.45 am and will be home at the latest of 7 pm...don't really have time to take extra of those classes besides my balletclasses...:(

so there is not a specific exercise to practise it...?? because i saw pilates once and they were using a towel or something around the back and then crossed it and holding it or something :confused: :confused: ... do you know if that was really for exercising the back breathing???

~SKIP~

So you don't have a choir or music instruction at school? You can ask a music teacher there to show you the technique. The crossed-towel exercise aids with thoracic expansion, and aids with that sort of breathing, but it's not, I don't believe, primarily dedicated to it. Any Pilates instructors out there?

I do recall that we've discussed breathing in the past. I think that if you run searches of the archives, particularly on "breathing", you'll find the threads.

i graduated from highschool last year, and will be continueing my education at a tourismschool (college) next week...no music lessons overthere and no choir at the school...sorry!!!

pilates instructors aren't easy to find here either...mostly in the big cities, but i live to far away from that part of the country...above all...it's soooo expensive overhere, because there is not a lot enthusiasm for it...

thanks anyway for your responses...i'll search in the archives...

~SKIP~

• Administrators

skip, while we have talked about breathing a few times, I don't think there are any topics that actually teach you how to do it. That is because it's one of those things that is very hard to describe in writing. Perhaps someone who is an expert in the techniques of breathing could do it, but I can't. I learned how to do it, and can teach it, but not here. Sorry :(

that's ok, i'll find a way to master it somehow ... i hope :( !!!

i'll keep searching the net and stuff like that...library (they got books about pilates...i'm hesitant to do it (pilates) myself though, because i don't want to injure myself...those instructors are there for a reason...!!)

thanksanyway for your efforts in trying to help me!!!

~SKIP~

Major Johnson and Skip - I sing and play flute (well, I did until this year when ballet took over ;) ), and I just wanted to add that while the breathing techniques are similar and it would probably profit dancers to learn how musicians breathe, it's quite a bit harder in dance because you must actually consciously hold your centre to support everything...correct? My music teachers never tell me to hold my abs as much as in dance!! :) hehe But then again, you are also right, Major Johnson, that musicians don't breathe with their shoulders going up and down or from their stomachs by letting them in and out....support is necessary there, too. The expansion experienced in both dance and music is more or less the same; I guess that is what you meant in the first place!