Ballet Talk for Dancers
Leilei

Tights for 6.5 year old picky girl

Leilei

My daughter hates dance tights. From the seam at the toe line to the super high waist. Mostly the high waist. But I can't seem to find low rise girls tights anywhere though... do they not make them or ste they incredibly difficult to find? Any help is appreciated!!

rane

My daughter doesn’t love all the high waisted tights either, so I’m curious about low waisted tights as well! 

My daughter does love convertible tights though. She likes that she can take the tights off her toes/feet and roll them up to her ankles before and after class. Maybe that would help your daughter with the toe seam being uncomfortable?

Edited by rane

AdventurerMom

My daughter got used to them just like she got used to wearing just tights with a leotard rather than panties  

With a high waist, they stay where they’re supposed to despite jumping, turning and stretching. Is the waistband digging in? You could always try the next size up. 

KMBH

My daughter has always found some of the waistbands more comfortable than others. Any of the ones with the softer, knitted waistbands work much better for her. The elastic ones annoyed her and sometimes even caused her to break out in hives. Since we switched over to the other waistband, she's had no issues. The trick has been making sure that the ones I buy have the right waistband. I got a pair online at the beginning of summer that she LOVED. Went to buy two more of what appeared to be the exact same tights at the local ballet store and they had the wrong waistband. I should have asked to peek inside the package!

Also, like AdventurerMom says, making sure the tights are on the slightly larger size without being too big has really helped.

Convertible tights sounds like a great idea to address the toe issue if they're allowed!

I agree that I have a hard time imagining low rise tights that would stay in place on a young one. It looks like Body Wrappers offers a low rise tight, but only in adult sizes. Maybe there's something else out there.

5Guin

Body Wrappers and Russian Pointe offer tights with a seamless toe. 

I always ordered my DDs tights one size up. They were more comfortable in the waist and lasted longer because they weren’t stretched as much.

AngelaK

My daughter had a similar issue with tights when she was younger. She almost quit because of stressing out over seams and waistbands! We discovered Prima Soft convertible tights and they were a game changer for her. They come in one-size-fits-all and they are awesome. She started wearing them when she was about 9 and wore them exclusively for years. 

Good luck finding something that works! I know how stressful it can be when they are overly sensitive! 

rane

Thanks for the prima tights recommendation! Classes start this week, so I’m getting some new tights for my daughter and will look for that brand and style.

dtwinmom

Eurotard 210 convertible tights are soft, comfortable, not too high-waisted and reasonably priced.

AngelaK

rane, I never found the Prima Soft tights in our local store, I always ordered them from Discount Dance. I’ll post a link to them. I hope that’s allowed. 

https://discountdance.com/dancewear/style_101.html?skey=Prima-Soft-Tight&SID=1377352634&search=true&SortOrder=R

I just noticed they come in seamed and plain. We never tried the seamed ones. 

twinkleandturn

My daughter can be picky about the waistband of tights.  The Mini Mindens from Gaynor Minden are really soft and she likes these.  

rane

Thank you so much for the link AngelaK. That is so helpful!