Ballet Talk for Dancers
GingerMama

Audition/Casting question

GingerMama

My DD just had her Nutcracker audition and is worried that she and her best friend will be in different roles instead of together again with the same parts. The audition began with everyone demonstrating things together and then they were broken down into groups. Each group further demonstrated different moves from each other. This audition was already broken up by class levels. I know nothing about audition processes so I’m wondering if this was just a way to see the girls easier in smaller batches or if they may have been grouped in what will be their roles together. I’m trying to keep her expectations low and to expect that they will be separated when the roles are announced so she will be prepared but I’m also wondering if that’s going to be the case. What would you guess?

dancemaven

For an outside production or a professional production, at that age, casting is typically based upon size and costume availability.  The artistic director/choreographers will be looking to create a pleasing ‘corps’ onstage.

If the audition was for your school’s Nutcracker, ask the parents of older students as to how casting is typically handled. 

Whatever the result, it is never to early to teach that ALL roles are important and the roles are ALL needed to create the wonderful production.  “Be happy you are cast and strive to do the very best job you can.”  If the best friends have different roles, how fun!  They can ‘teach’ each other their own roles for fun. :)

GingerMama

Thanks Dancemaven! I love your idea about teaching each other their different roles! It is an outside production. I definitely will be emphasizing that all roles are important and DD knows that. When asked what role they wanted to have a lot of girls in her age group said Clara and DD said a more age appropriate role even though her dream is to one day be Clara. I should have mentioned that DD and her best friend are both tall and about equal in height which is much taller than most of the girls in their level which is why I thought they’d be more likely to have the same roles together as they have had before. Unfortunately I do not know any moms of older dancers to ask. The younger kids tend to have classes earlier than the older ones so we don’t usually cross paths. 

rane

Good luck to your daughter! Keep us posted on the role she gets.

Our Nutcracker public auditions are coming up in a few weeks. I know that the children are sorted specifically by size. The smallest (under 4 feet) are auditioning for a clown role, which is what my daughter hopes to be. The next group is for party girls (4-5 feet). The other group (5+ feet) is the only one that has two options, Russians and sleigh pages. The other roles, including Clara, are danced by the junior and senior company members.

GingerMama

Thanks Rane! Is your DD excited? It would be easier if there was more certainty here about roles! I know last year they definitely did not match up by height and had a range of kids in different roles. 

dancemaven

Please let’s stay on topic so that we do not end up with multiple, scattered Nutcracker role report threads. 😉

GingerMama

Sorry Dancemaven! I didn’t know there was another Nutcracker thread when I got the notification about the response.