Ballet Talk for Dancers
AnastasiaBeav

Nutcracker 2019

momof5dancers

Mom de deux, how interesting that they don't cast the whole show at once.  That is so hard for your oldest dd. 

How is your younger dd able to do all those roles?  Does she do them all in one show, or is it a different role for each show? 

Congrats to your dd, that is so exciting that she got so many roles.  I wish our Nut did that.  I have heard of some places having a kid have a different role each show.  I really like that idea. 

AmyMary

How exciting for your youngest. What would we do without those girls who love playing party boys??

Man, I wouldn't want to be in that house right now though, lol.

GingerMama

How exciting Mom de deux! The mischievous part sounds like a lot of fun! Your poor oldest though, waiting is so hard!

Mom de deux

All 3 in one show. She'll probably have her first quick change. I'm just along for the adventure. I have no frame of reference since with a new AD this season, I don't know what the battle will look like. We've never had younger dancers in it before. From the cast list, it looks like they are going with smaller, younger dancers as soldiers and much taller mice pulled from the intermediate levels.

It's not uncommon for our cast list to come out in 2 segments since the younger dancers' party auditions are generally held on a different day from the more advanced dancers auditions for things like dolls and act 2 leads. With a new AD I wonder if he wants to get the big scene rehearsals underway while finalizing his decisions. Snow and Flowers for example, are already rehearsing, with two or three dancers rotating in as Dewdrop and Snow Queen to see who fits. I trust where he's going with it. All the younger kids, including Clara and the Prince know their casting, as does the SPF I believe. I expect the rest of the cast will go up within the next couple of weeks, but that will be a post for another forum. 😉

AmyMary

Yes, that makes sense. This year the younger dancers are soldiers, flower, snow corps...and the older girls mice. They just had homecoming so our studio went ahead rehearsing Clara and the younger girls parts without them learning their choreography yet.

Waiting on the cast list is so hard though. I planned a trip away for new pointe shoes while we were waiting. DD drove me nuts until I finally sent our SO a text (only because it was after the cast list was supposed to be announced) and she said "oh yeah, you missed the announcement, she is Clara" 😁

Edited by dancemaven
Removed full quote of immediately preceding post. Please go to bottom of page and enter a reply.