Ballet Talk for Dancers
tgwood

Audition: Cost of Videographer

tgwood

My daughter is going to be preparing her audition video (for Prix de Lausanne and for companies/schools overseas). We have friends who are professional videographers who have agreed to do the videography and said to simply pay them "whatever we think is fair." I have NO idea what to pay -- and cannot seem to find this info on any professional sites. Does anyone have experience with a professional videographer and what it should cost for a couple of hours of shooting and editing to a 10 minute video?

Thanks in advance for your help!

learningdance

I think that the going rate might be 1000-1500 depending on the skill of the videographer.  

But why don't you ask, "What would you charge?"  How long does it take to get 10 minutes of edited footage? (Likely an 8-10 hour job. Setting up the shoot. Taping. Editing. Getting client feedback. Re editing. Getting more client feedback. Re editing. Producing)

My DD is preparing a video for something and the directions explicity say, "Do not use fancy angles or editing." I think that people do not want too much videographic "enhancement" of the dancer. Some will even say they only want studio footage in practice clothes. 

tgwood

Oof! That's pricey. It's tricky, because he's an actual filmmaker -- shooting feature films, and for a typical client he would charge thousands. But he is a a dear friend too (and won't be expecting thousands) but I do want to compensate him for his time. And her teacher plans to edit the raw footage, I believe.

Yes -- we intend for it to be very simple and according to the specifications. But well-lit and clear. The examples I have found on youtube are really not even sharp enough to see details of the dancers' bodies.

Thanks for your input. I have heard anything from $200 - $2000. 

Dancermomfive

DD is currently a trainee at a company and wants to send a video audition for her top company choices October \ Novemberish we recently watched a livestream from Rachel Neville on audition video tips ,  she had a lot of good points on how far away to film the studio size etc I believe she also has tips on her blog. I was wondering has anyone ever gotten a video done by her and if so would share their experience ? Thinking DD will take her pictures by herself and get a professional video done.

Elf Font

While this doesn't directly answer the question of cost of videographer, I would like to mention that when my dancer was shooting a video audition, the most important thing was feeling comfortable and feeling supported. I would recommend that a teacher or coach be present and that the dancer does not feel rushed into moving on from a combination or specific demonstration of technique. So that being said, we have gone the route of paying for a professional videographer and also filming ourselves with a trusted teacher/coach. My dancer preferred the latter. As far as filming ourselves, using an iPhone with a good app (such as FiLMiC Pro), a tripod, a good studio with good lighting (sometimes we would have to bring extra lighting ourselves), and a trusted coach was good enough. 

tgwood

Elf Font, Thanks. Yes - the reason we are hiring our friends is so that her teacher can focus on her rather than on capturing video. I think it will all work out :)