Ballet Talk for Dancers
famchronicles

Hello - New Member Intro

famchronicles

Hello there, I am a new member with two younger DD in ballet. Both of my DD have been and continue with Vaganova instruction in a ballet school where 100% of the graduating seniors dance in college or have left for year round training. The oldest DD is a sophomore in HS and youngest is in middle school. We do not have any professional ballet companies within a few hours driving distance.

I have dutifully been trying to do research on SI auditions for summer 2020 and college later on down the road. My HS DD is interested in auditioning for intensives outside of the home studio this year and we were curious if there are any Vaganova SIs in the U.S.  In addition, we have cost limitations so she was only looking to do a a few weeks as our 2 oldest are in college in non dance related majors. We would also have to hope for some scholarship help for the SI or she couldn't attend.

I feel somewhat overwhelmed after browsing through the applicable forums and know there will probably be corrections to my introduction with my current lack of knowledge. 

Thank you in advance for any advice or encouragement.

Victoria Leigh

Welcome, famchronicles!  I apologize for the delayed response to your introduction. (I think many of our moderating team are on vacations right now! :o)

We understand how BTforD can be a bit overwhelming at first. We have been here so long now, and there is no much information on here that I have trouble finding specific things! It does take some time (and patience) to become familiar with our forums, but there is so much to learn, especially for parents of young dancers, that it is well worth it!

As to Vaganova SI's in the U.S., have you looked at Harid Conservatory in FL and The Kirov Academy in DC? Those would be good places to start. There are others, but these two are quite well known. 

DDballetmother71

Good morning

I have been coming here since before my DD started auditioning for summer intensives. It’s a great forum and it’s alway good to do your research and find a place that is best for your DDs and your family.  I’m a bit partial to the Harid because we send our daughter there. This is her 2nd year.  The summer is 4 weeks which we loved versus some 5 and 6 week intensives she attended. [ . . . ]

Audition times for summer intensives are normally posted near end of October or November. Just check out their websites you can get really good information from their as well.  Also many places invite you to call and ask questions or provide a FAQ on their websites.   

I hope that helps a little and welcome to the forum. 

Edited by dancemaven
Removed non-first-hand experiences per BT4D Rules and Policies.

famchronicles

Thank you both for the information. I think these are exciting programs.

Any advice on video auditions versus in person auditions for programs such as these? Are they comparable for admission chances? 

And here is a funny story. I was trying to search Vaganova in the SI forum. It returned enormous amounts of information because that is one of the prompts to for students to review the various SI's. 

So I guess I would be open to ideas as to how to search for other Vaganova based programs.

Thank you again for your time.

DDballetmother71

Personally I’ve never searched by a specific “style” of ballet. I was already aware of these few schools that were listed by Victoria previously as they are prestigious schools in the ballet community.  Sorry about that.  

Maybe you could search via these programs to help narrow down the search. 

Bolshoi, Kirov, The Harid Conservatory and I think maybe Ellison Ballet has a summer in NY city but I can’t say for certain if Ellison is Vaganova or not.  

To answer about auditions video vs in person. My daughter prefers in person however I’m not sure how schools feel about videos vs in person. I think maybe it might depend on the school. I would think if they offer the option that they do indeed review video submissions and take them just as seriously as an in person audition.  

We have never done a video audition before but I do know some of our friends that have and were accepted from a video entry.

dancemaven

Famchronicals,  you can get more information regarding video auditions versus in-person auditions pros and cons by reviewing the threads in the SI General Discussion Forum.

This particular forum is just for new members to introduce themselves and be welcomed.  We don’t carry on discussions regarding various topics here.

I always encourage new members to get a cup or glass of their favorite beverage (be it coffee, tea, . . .or wine) and spend a little time navigating around the site to see what all we offer here, drop in on various Forums, and individual threads that catch your fancy and see what discussions are all about.

There really isn’t much we haven’t discussed regarding SIs in general, so there is lots of information available.  Discussions can always be added to and rejuvenated.  

We do also ask that all new members review and familiarize themselves with our Rules and Policies (and encourage old members to review them periodically, as well.). 😊

We are happy you have found us and look forward to getting to know you as you travel along the journey with your DD.

famchronicles

Thank you again for the wonderful and helpful information.