Ballet Talk for Dancers
SS75

Ballet Schools in Idaho

SS75

We are considering moving out of state.  My dd is in a pre-prof program, competes in YAGP, and I'm struggling as to which studio would benefit her.  Idaho Ballet has a company,  performs shows,  and has Garret Anderson as artistic director. But when i called them,  they had no idea what yagp was, and were not able to answer any of my questions.  I was surprised.  Boise Ballet answered me right away,  had 1 soloist in YAGP finals last year,  their director is Mads Erikson, and I do NOT see any performance listings for them. 

Without being able to watch videos of their students it's hard to know which will benefit my daughter on her path to get into a company.  Any thoughts or insight is welcome,  especially if you are attending one of these schools.  Thank you!

Noodles

You might be best to have your dancer take a trial class at each, once you move, to see which is a better fit. I would add that not everyone does YAGP nor is it necessary for a career in ballet.

Victoria Leigh

Welcome, SS75!

I agree with Noodles. I would wait until you get there, or can visit there prior to the move, and then visit both schools. Sometimes it's really hard to tell from the websites.  

SS75

Thank you both♡ it's all in the prelim process, I'm hoping if it works out I'll have her try both... she's a smart cookie,  I was just anxious for feedback on either school,  since I can't get much online.  Thanks again!

Temps de cuisse

I too would check out both schools and have your daughter take a class or two. That way you would get a feel for each school. I do know that Boise Ballet is a new school only a year old but Mads Eriksen is a wonderful young teacher.

Sweetpeacc99

My dd attended one week of their summer intensive and started this school year with Boise Ballet Academy. It is only in its 2nd year of operation and the class sizes are still small. My dd is in level 4/5 and there are 6 students in that level. We chose it over Ballet Idaho and a few other ballet academies in the area, because of the reputation of the director and the small class size. She gets excellent instruction there and has improved tremendously. Mads and his wife Sarah were both instructors at New Ballet in San Jose and danced professsionally. Level 4/5 are combined for class Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Sat. Level 5 also has class on Mondays. They did a performance of Nutcracker and will have a performance in the Spring. They teach ABT curriculum and will have exams in March.

InWayOverMyHead

Sweetpeacc99,

You are very lucky to have Mr. and Mrs. Eriksen.  They are wonderful teachers.  We miss them terribly.  We are swinging through Boise next month on the way to a skating competition in Sun Valley and I'm desperately trying to squeeze in a private lesson and a Gyro session for my daughter when we pass through!  Also trying to get her up there for the SI this year, the dates work perfectly before her SI at our home studio.

SS75

Thank you both very much!!!

After interviewing both schools, we can see benefits to both places.  We feel for our situation, starting at Boise Ballet is our best choice, and if for any reason she does not grow at the same rate or improve where needed, we can always change.  But we have been speaking to the instructors there as well as previous teachers of her here in CA and feel Mads definitely has the best reputation.  He was also kind enough to speak to us and answer all of our (probably annoying) questions.  We are staring there in a few weeks and are very excited to see what our daughter's future brings.  Leaving a studio is very difficult for many reasons, she has known NOTHING else other than SI.  I definitely appreciate everyone's feedback, thank you very much!