Ballet Talk for Dancers
famchronicles

SI's and College Admissions?

famchronicles

Hello,

I have looked through the Higher Education forum and was looking for information. For those dancers who ended up going the college route, do the SI's attended in high school help with scholarships or admissions? We are trying to figure how it might make a difference according to the SI's attended whether they are regional or national or the number the dancer has attended outside of their local training. We are just starting this decision making process so I hope that I am asking the right questions.

Thank you.

julisha

I think SIs help the college adjudicators understand a dancer’s training path; however admission and scholarships are based on talent and performance that is displayed in the audition. At least that was what the schools that DD applied to emphasized-performance in the audition. And while a dance resume/listing was requested as part of the application, I don’t think it matters how many/national/regional SIs. What matters is how all of that training comes together when your dancer is in the college audition. 

famchronicles

Okay, julisha, that is very helpful. Thank you!

dancingjet

I agree with julisha. I think from the dance ajudicators’ perspective it’s all about what’s in front of them. Where a dancer trained doesn’t factor in. The well-trained dancer is going to be clear, whatever that training consisted of. In terms of getting accepted academically, which dancers auditioning also have to do, summer programs will certainly help show commitment to a passion, an ability to live away from home, an ability to go outside of one’s comfort zone, etc. Choose the best training for your dancer any given summer based on what they need and without thinking any particular SI on a resume will make or break their chances at a college acceptance. 

famchronicles

Okay, dancingjet, that makes sense. Thank you for your perspective.

katesy2

If applying to college not for dance, then spending summers at a nationally known SI or winning merit scholarships is a definite plus on the application. I am an alumni interviewer for a leading college, and we are trained to look for both dedication (time, focus, etc.) and recognition (national/international) in a students’ pursuits. 

famchronicles

Hi katesy2, that makes sense! Thank you for your reply.