Ballet Talk for Dancers
GingerMama

Value of SI for younger dancers?

AnastasiaBeav
2 hours ago, Noodles said:

Getting waaaaayyyy off topic but AmyMary, be careful of the studio hopping.  

I worry about this. We moved from a comp studio to an okay but close by ballet academy so DD10 could see if ballet is really her passion. If she decides she really wants to pursue this as a career we will need to switch again to a school with a pre-professional program.  That wouldn't be for another few years but I would hate to give the impression that it was for anything other than adapting to a dancer's goals. 

Noodles

AnastasiaBeav, there are many many valid reasons to leave a studio and yours certainly sounds valid. I would just urge parents to honestly evaluate the situation if the dancer/parent wants to leave a studio because they feel the dancer is being over looked. It does happen that a dancer and an AD are not a good match, and it might be best to move on.  However, if that scenario becomes a recurring theme it needs some serious consideration because one may be relocating for the wrong reasons. 

dancemaven

Those are wise words.  And appropriately placed.

But . . .that said, let’s return to this topic:  Value of SIs for young dancers.

We have a number of threads on studio-hopping versus studio changing for needs, etc.  To continue that valuable discussion, please add to one of those threads.  😃

Phx115

The summer my daughter was 8 she did a 1-wk junior intensive at a Balanchine-based studio about 5 hrs away from our home. We went with another family and shared hotel expenses. The program was from 9-2, so we explored the city while the girls danced. After classes, we did more exploring, took the train back to the hotel, and the kids went swimming. It was a fun week and we have fond memories of the experience. DD13 went back this past summer for the same program’s 5-week SI.

At that time, DD was still at a comp studio with albeit limited ballet. I think IF she gained anything from that experience it was that 1. She learned that ballet classes are not 1 hr and, after January, only 30 minutes because 1/2 the class time is spent rehearsing the recital piece, and 2. What a professionally operated ballet program looks and feels like.

I don’t believe anything from a technique standpoint was gained from that experience, though.

RaisingBallerina

We have a funny anecdote... my DD was hell-bent on doing a dance intensive at age 9. We had never even known anyone to do this, but she was super passionate and just couldn't get enough ballet.  I didn't even know about the big "young dancer" programs so we were way past the deadlines, but we did find a one week half-day intensive with a local company and signed her up.  She was the ONLY child who wasn't in their year-round school, but she didn't care.  Although she had fun, she didn't like the main ballet teacher for various reasons.  Fast forward - she ended up moving over to that teacher full time years later and is sure he is the best thing since sliced bread.  I seriously wonder if she would have made the move sooner if that first "intensive" hadn't turned her off!!!  That week of training made zero difference in her progress, and the overall experience may have actually set her back...

On another note, I think she might have benefitted from a (shorter- not 5-week) intensive at 12, a year before her actual first intensive at 13.   In hindsight that seems like when she was ready.  But hindsight is just a easily wrong as right...

GingerMama

I love these stories! Thank you Phx115 and Raising Ballerina! It’s so helpful to hear from people who have already been through it!