Ballet Talk for Dancers
Striderspot

Men doing pointe

Striderspot

Hi I’m wanting to start taking ballet class I called a studio and asked them if they offer adult classes they said yes they do I also asked about eventually doing some pointe work the lady immediately said NO men don’t do pointe work I thought that was kind of rude every where I have looked and or read about encourage men to do pointe work.. so should I just give up on the whole thing or continue on looking for a place that will ???

Colman

I'd call around and see if there was somewhere more accommodating, but if it's the only place handy then go with it for a start - you won't be ready for pointe work for a couple of years anyway, and you'll be in a better position to make decisions about other classes. 

MattMan

I agree with Coleman... ... ...  It was intimidating for me to start ballet and nerve up to go to my first class, but I soon found the most important this is the get started and DANCE!  So, starting out I would encourage you to get dancing at the studio that (all other things being equal) is most accessible.  Your chance to begin point is probab;u at least 2 years down the road, so I would not let that factor alone steer you away from a studio that would otherwise work well for your schedule, budget, accessibility, etc.  

Edited by dancemaven
To add proper capitalization and actual words per BT4D Rules and Policies

dancemaven

MattMan, just a reminder to please use proper capitalization and to properly spell words (no text speak, slang or lazy spelling) as per BT4D Rules and Policies.

We have members from all over the globe and for many English is not their first language.  It is hard enough for folks to read proper English without having to deal with slang spellings or lack of proper capitalization (“I” , not “i”).  We do request all our members use their best English, including proper grammar, capitalization, actual words, and punctuation.  Thank you.

MattMan

Thanks for the heads-up, Dance Maven.  Sorry to create work for you this time.  My bad.  Cheers.  M