Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Eloisea

Dance programs in Europe for 21+

Eloisea

Originally from Switzerland, I am currently in my second year of study at Alvin Ailey in New York. I would like to go back to Europe next year and find a school/program where I could « finish » my training and be ready to transition into the active world of working as a professional dancer. I am looking for a place where they would be ballet based while still teaching some neoclassical and contemporary/contemporary ballet rep and classes. 
My main problem is that I will be 21 in March and I don’t find a lot of school that accept people after 18/19. Would anyone know any school/program that could correspond ?

Thank you 

lacetree

In the U.K. you could look at: Northern Ballet School, London Russian Ballet School, London Contemporary Dance School, London Studio Centre, Trinity Laban, Rambert, Northern School of Contemporary Dance and maybe Central School of Ballet. These are schools just off the top of my head and there will be more. Some will be more like a traineeship, as you get in the States, with performing opportunities. Some of these schools will have a more contemporary edge. Some offer specific postgrad training. Dance training typically finishes later in the UK than in the States and 21 won’t be very unusual. Many centres will have minimum ages, not maximum, but are often highly selective.

lacetree

Royal Conservatoire of Scotland might be another possibility.

Doubleturn

Academy of Northern Ballet (based in Leeds) has a Professional Graduate programme.  This is completely different from Northern Ballet School (based in Manchester) which I don't think has a suitable programme.  If you want ballet based, that would rule out London Contemporary, Laban and Norther Contemporary as they are mainly contemporary based with only a little ballet. Rambert and Central might have something.  Ballet Cymru based in Wales has a Pre Professional programme.  Bristol Russian Ballet is Vaganova based as is Masters of Ballet in London, both are excellent schools and may be able to tailor something to your needs. 

Redbookish

In the UK, you could look at entry to a degree programme - age 21 won't be such a bar as you might think. The conservatoires (part of the university system for funding and student loans etc) will audition applicants for the final selection into programmes. If the talent & potential & body etc is there, then being a couple of years older than the other students won't necessarily be an issue. Most university students are 18 going on 19 in their first year at UK universities. 

You'll need to be aware of the difference between the conservatoires and universities which run dance degrees. Most of the university dance degrees focus on contemporary dance, and won't give you the 6 hours a day model of training that you get at say, the Royal Ballet Upper School (which is not part of the post-secondary system).

Rambert might be a good place for you as they teach a ballet-centred syllabus, but with quite a good proportion of contemporary technique. They offer a degree in some of their programmes.

You can start browsing university-level (ie post-compulsory) dance courses via the UCAS website (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). Use the search facility to narrow down the kind of programme you're interested in: https://www.ucas.com/