Ballet Talk for Dancers
MattMan

Your Preferred Color of Tights: Black or Other??

MattMan

YMMV - Your "Mileage" May Vary

My tights wardrobe for ballet class includes several colors, e.g. maroon, grey, blue, brown, rose, teal, plumb, plus two custom patterns (from LuckyLeo).  Rarely but occasionally I will wear my black tights to class.  That said, my instructor asked me to stay away from black as the studio dance floor is black, and that combination makes it more difficult for her to ck my muscle contortions.  Besides, I like switching colors around.  The classes i take are all adult beginning ballet.  At a recent class another student said that she is accustomed to seeing men in black, only in black, and in nothing but black ("so help us God!").  She stated this in such a way that i almost think she disapproves of my varying colors.  She wears nothing but pink tights with a black leo, topped with a longer-ish black tee shirt.  I do appreciate that she started dancing as a young woman many years ago, and so i get that she may be steeped in tradition.  On one hand, i want to wear what i want to wear, etc, but at the same time, i don't want to ruffle feathers. 

So, i just thought i would ask other guys in adult programs do.  Do you tend to stick with black tights?  What other colors do you wear, and how often do you switch things up?  Thanks.  M

Colman

I mostly wear dance shorts in black or grey, but that’s my normal palette anyway - shorts because every studio I dance in is too hot. I’d wear black tights more formally, perhaps, or because I’ve run out of clean shorts. 

I’d try to avoid black tights on black floors (and maybe grey on grey floors) but other than that, who cares? Wear what you’re comfortable in unless your teacher has a reason they need you to wear something else. I wouldn’t worry too much about other students’ opinions on these things.

Andy32

I just wear black because that's what I have, and with my personality I don't usually like to make a splash with what I wear. Wouldn't mind doing white with a costume at some point - that would be fun. But I wouldn't worry about what another student thinks about tights color. I have been to adult classes in 25+ different studios, and none of them would have had a problem with various colors of tights. If a teacher says something to you then I would respect that. Some formal schools have guys in grey or blue so I don't know why she would be hung up on black.

Colman
On 11/4/2019 at 4:27 PM, Andy32 said:

Wouldn't mind doing white with a costume at some point - that would be fun.

Oh, it sounds like fun, until you have to try and find really opaque white tights. Trust me on this.