Ballet Talk for Dancers
MattMan

What Suggestions Would You Offer to An Adult Beginner Considering a Summer Intensive

MattMan

I am haunted by the temptation to sign up for a five day summer intensive.  Just one year ago I took my first ballet class, and have attended classes at least three times a week since.  How much does a mature adult dancer's ability (technical, strength, balance, etc) improve with a focused intensive?  If you have attended such a program, what expectations did you have that were met, exceeded, and dashed?  Are there things a beginning adult should avoid, and are there certain questions and considerations that should be focused on?  Thanks in advance.  Matt

Redbookish

Although it's now quite old, these posts offer a wonderful set of descriptions of adult dancers' experiences:

Richmond (Sun King) Adult SI survival guide

Sun King Adult SI

And some of the later posts in this thread recommend that the lower level can be OK for beginners, and you have choices of classes for a half or a full day.

Johnny Simpatico

Sun King was vigorously recommended to me, but I was put off by the time and financial commitment associated with it. But I did attend two weekend Ballet Boot Camps offered by Washington School of Ballet. The two-day sessions each began with a conditioning class and a technique class. Afternoons involved mastering some choreography, which was performed at the end of the second day. There was some other interesting training included in the mix. The teaching was wonderful. They clearly appreciate their adult students.

iceberg*lover

I’ve loved the Artemotion adult intensive held at the Ballet West studios in Salt Lake City. There’s 3 levels including a beginner level. I think it would meet your expectations 

silvergreydancer

Mattman,

Sun King in June has a beginning level. That might be good for you. If you take the full ballet day you will have 4-5 classes per day, spread out in technique variations, Pas de Deux and Repetoire. The instructors are very good. It can be a rewarding experience. If price is a concern and you are looking for the biggest bang for your buck , I'd suggest contacting a local instructor  to see if you could work something out in  private lessons. Pas would probably not be possible.  If you want more info message me.

MattMan

Thanks Silver and Ice.  I wish Sun King would do a repeat in Vancouver WA, which is about a 3 hour drive for me.  Richmond VA would involve a full day travel each way.  SLC appears as an attractive option, which is a 1:45 air flight each way.  It looks like Lexington KY has an adult offering as well, but it appears to be an evening program only, though it would be really fun to take instruction from Asher in that program.  SF's adult program looks a bit over my head as of yet.  I just hope that the compressed work at a one week adult program would help me advance my skill level by six months or so.  Plus, it will be great having a chance to work with a variety of instructors.   Not having done anything like this i wonder if anyone ever REGRETS attending a week long program.  Happy Thanksgiving holiday to all, from the USA!  M