Ballet Talk for Dancers
BalletforC

ballet shoes

BalletforC

what type of flat ballet shoes does your daughter wear?  Right now my daughter is wearing Blochs split sole Performa canvas shoes which feel like you are wearing socks.  Does anyone have any recommendations regarding soft shoes that enhance the arche and provide a bit of support?

L_One

My daughter was required to wear a full sole leather ballet flat until around age 11. They did not allow split sole or canvas ballet shoes for younger students at her ballet school. 

InWayOverMyHead

Well, since I've started posting now I guess I'll keep going.

My dancer is 11, she has never cared for leather or full sole shoes and has been in canvas splits since the start.  She started in Bloch, moved to So Danca's, then on to Danshuz, which she absolutely loved. Unfortunately she was recently diagnosed with Sever's Disease (heel tendon inflammation) and after recovering she switched to MDM Intrinsic Reflex shoes.  They have a bit more support built in, the outside appearance of split, but really a full sole inside with some heel padding.  She loves them now.  They are an Australian Co., so not the easiest to find in stores here in the U.S..  We ordered several different styles and sizes from MDM Dance USA (aka The Fair, Inc.) in Roseville, MN.  She chose the Intrinsic Reflex over all the others models for various reasons.  We returned the 5 other pair for a quick and easy refund.  The main website has more information on the shoes, and a sizing template to print out that gave us an idea of what size to order for a start. It was reasonably accurate, but since she's at the margins of Child/Adult it was best to order each size.  She ended up in an Adult 5M (her street shoes are Child 4 1/2).

https://www.mdmdanceusa.com

https://www.mdmdance.com

Chibikko

DD rotates between Angelo Luzio and So Danca's canvas split sole. 

twinkleandturn

My daughter wears Bloch Dansoft II leather split sole ballet slippers.  She has been in split sole slippers for a few years now-but I don't think we really "decided" to make a switch or knew the difference, it was just the best fitting slipper at the time.  

L_One:  What is the reasoning for younger dancers not wearing split sole?  

L_One

twinkleandturn - It was explained to us that the full sole helped the dancers strengthen their feet. We were attending a company attached ballet school at the time. The year dancers went on pointe was the year they were able to move away from the leather full sole shoes.

Noodles

My DD was told the same thing that L_One posted above. Dancers at my DD's previous studio had to get permission to switch to split sole shoes.