Ballet Talk for Dancers
OldSoulDancer

Heya peeps

OldSoulDancer

So I'm new ... obviously.  I'm also a late starter but I really, really, really want to be a professional eventually.  I started at 12, which I guess isn't too late, but my first year wasn't at a great studio.  Now I'm in a much more professional studio, and even though it's super small, I love it.  I'm also non-binary (didn't see an option for that in the gender box, so I just put Not Telling).  My dream is to dance professionally, doing both male and female roles.  I'm currently training mainly in the female style (not quite on pointe yet but hopefully soon), but I'm probably going to be adding a male class fairly soon.

I had one question: I know I'm not technically a guy, but I'm not a girl either, and I plan to pursue the male style.  Would it be okay for me to post in the men's forum, please?

I'm super happy to be here and meet you guys.  So, hi, I guess.

mom2

Hi OldSoul,

Welcome to Ballet talk for dancers!  Can you tell us your age?  The men's forum is essentially for adults which is why I ask.

I'm not a dance teacher (just a mom), so I can't really speak to any training challenges you might experience with the route you are hoping to take.  At a minimum I would think it would require more hours of class than if you were to identify as male or female.

Which pronouns do you prefer using?  They/their?  This may not come up here, but in case it does I thought it would be helpful to know.

All the best,

mom2

OldSoulDancer

Ohh, I didn't realize.  I'm 13-14.

I use they/them, yeah.  Thanks for asking!