Ballet Talk for Dancers
twinkleandturn

Do you consider YAGP participation when evaluating a ballet school?

twinkleandturn

Hi!  I'm curious to know if YAGP participation is an important factor when evaluating a ballet school?  My DD attends a pre-professional ballet school that does not participate in YAGP or any competitions (Jump, etc...honestly I don't really know the competitions out there).  

Personally, I do not care for dance competitions, and don't mind that DD's studio is not a competition school, but don't know if YAGP participation is important for serious ballet students?  Is a benefit of YAGP participation getting exposure that could lead to future opportunities?  

Is YAGP something a ballet student could enter independently if she wanted in the future or does one need to be associated with a school?  

I've done a little reading through other threads, but haven't come across opinions on how YAGP participation influences school selection. 

Thank you for any input, advice, experiences, etc...😊

Ballerinamom2girls

I consider it a plus that my daughter's school does not participate in YAGP or any competitions.  It really isn't necessary unless you're older and have a very specific school/company that you're interested in that you know is present at YAGP competitions and likes to offer contracts or school scholarships.  Of course that's not even the only way to get into a school or company you're interested in, but maybe it's one way.  Just my opinion of course.. my daughter did participate once and I kind of felt like it was just all about putting on a show.  

dancemaven

Twinkleandturn, we have threads discussing the importance/non-importance of YAGP or other dance competitions as they pertain to a professional career development.   We also have threads for the last 5 year or so in which members who have DKs attaining professional contracts as dancers share their DKs pathways, including whether competitions played any role in attaining the contract.  I would suggest you do a Search and take those threads under consideration.

In short, the answer is “not very important”.  It is ALL about the training.

twinkleandturn

Thank you Ballerinamom2girls!  I really appreciate hearing your perspective on and experience with YAGP!  

Chibikko

DD has been competing since a young age at a competition studio and I am the type who likes to keep my options open, so when we made the switch to ballet it was only natural to option for schools that bring students (or at least not against) to compete. However we are rather realistic with the situation and not competing for scholarships or future opportunities. DD simply enjoy competing, learning new variation and the experience she had at YAGP. For us DD had the privilege to take classes with major choreographers like Travis Wall at our old studio and at convention like ones you mentioned but never have I seen the joy she had like the way she did after YAGP. That was when I know I made the right choice. For down the road in the future, unless your dancer has a serious social media presence otherwise I don't see being in competitions matter at all. What matters is what the school/company see at the time of audition than some YAGP NY finalist title.