Ballet Talk for Dancers
mln

Nevada Ballet petitions to unionize

mln

MelissaGA,

I did notice that a high percentage of the annual budget was going to the outreach program.  It is much higher than at other companies.  I did not realize that most fundraising was devoted to that program.  Thanks for that information.  It sounds like a great program, but there needs to be a healthy company to complement the outreach.   I hope that, in the future, the company will consider doing more fundraising for dancer support, as many companies do.

The "administrative" costs at NBT are also a greater percentage of the total budget than at other companies of about the same size.  The school costs are about the same as one finds at similar companies, though perhaps they shouldn't be, since the summer programs at NBT are much smaller.  Perhaps some of the outreach program expenses are counted with the school and administrative expenses?  I couldn't really tell from the Charity Navigator's reports.

Compared to other companies of the same size and with about the same number of performances per year, NBT also devotes less of its annual budget to company performances.  I don't know whether any dancer salaries or performance bonuses (when the management actually pays them) are counted in the performance category.  Certainly, the orchestra costs would be here.

To my untrained eye, the balance seems off in a lot of areas.  A company with such a thriving outreach program clearly has the resources to raise money for the dancers' well being, too. 

Luckily, I am not responsible for interpreting all of this data!  I think AGMA will take a close look at all of these numbers if the dancers vote yes.  Re-balancing priorities so that dancers are getting fair compensation, benefits, and protections should not hurt the company in the long run, and I am confident that the outreach programs will continue to thrive, too.   

The unionization is going to shake up the status quo at NBT, and change is never easy, but this kind of change can be very healthy for everyone.  Let's hope that, after the vote, the management recognizes the opportunity they have to build a stronger organization.

MelissaGA

Today is the vote by the dancers. Have not heard any news yet. Wondering if all the anti-union campaigning by the board members has had any effect. 

mln

It’s a yes.  NBT is joining the union.

MelissaGA

Dd told me shortly after I posted. :) 

And now to see the board’s response. I certainly hope they accept this and there are no negative consequences for the dancers! 

JKK

Bravo to the NBT dancers!

Ballerinamom2girls

Great news!

tentative

Curious as to the process following the vote. How quickly will the transition occur? Will this affect contract offers? Had letters of intent been sent out? I'm sure there's a lot of "wait and see." 

Hopefully working conditions will improve quickly. 

mln

I don't know any specifics about what comes next.  I wish I did. The dancers have been really busy, and I have only received short text messages about the vote.

I will be following the contract negotiations, to be sure, and I hope they do not take forever.

The union-busting tactics do not appear to have changed anyone's mind.  I think the management assumed that the dancers were solely motivated by self interest.  What they seem to have missed is the fact that most of the NBT dancers were and are invested in the long-term health and success of the company.  If management can set aside their defensiveness and see what a great group of dancers-citizens they have, many positive things could happen at NBT in the next few years.