Ballet Talk for Dancers
Mathilde15

Summer intensive 2020 - recommendations

Mathilde15

Hi. I would like some advice on summer intensives in the US. My daughter i 15 years old and would like to participate in a summer intensive. She is Danish and living in Copenhagen and havn't been to a summer intensive in the US before. She has been dancing ballet for 6 years. She is a good dancer, but not a professional and not presuing to be a professional. Her goals are to get good training, to become a better dancer, but also to make new american friends and to experience a new culture. We would like to get her in to a summer intensive with a safe, nuturing ansd caring enviroment and traning at different levels. We have been looking at Nashville Ballet School,  The Rock ballet; South Carolina; CPYB, Princeton Dance and Theater, Burklyn Ballet, Austin ballet and Alvin Ailey. But it is so difficult to choose from a website, so if any of you have experiences with these summer intensives, I would love to hear about it. Or if you have any other suggetions, they are welcome too. Thank you!

dancemaven

Mathilde15, Welcome!  We are glad you have found us!  We look forward to getting to know you and share your DD’s journey.

We encourage all our new members to take a little time to nose around the Board to see what all we have to offer and to get a feel for how things are done here.  We also ask that everyone take the time to read our Rules and Policies.

As for Summer Intensives, we have a whole forum just for those.  The most popular and prominent programs each have their own dedicated thread, which contains first-hand experiences shared by our members, as well as questions and first-person answers.  Each of the programs you mentioned has a dedicated thread.  (Really, there are two threads for each program:  the Review and Research thread for all things pertinent to the program itself and The Who’s Going? thread for the current season’s audition experiences, questions, attendance decision, meeting and traveling.  That particular thread gets deleted each year).  The Forum is arranged alphabetically, so it is easy to find the dedicated threads for the programs you are interested in.

It is our Policy NOT to make recommendations among or between programs for individual dancers, but rather, we collect and share first-hand experiences of our members.  With that empirical information, each family must evaluate the information, compare and contrast programs, and decide for themselves based upon their own personal criteria which program best suits their dancer and family at this particular time in training.

Once you’ve read through the threads, please feel free to add questions that you still have about the programs on their appropriate thread.

Merde! On your entry into the SI realm.  We look forward to sharing with you.

Mathilde15

Thank your for your reply! I didn't meen to make people do recommandations pointing to one school better than another, but wanted some advice on a summer intensive good for a dancer, who is not going to be a professionel, but it makes sense that you have the polices and  rules that you do. I think it is so difficult for me not being familiar with american summer intensives to find out about the different schools. Your site is very helpfuld and I have been reading a lot of the first-hand experineces. I can't find any new posts on Alvin Ailey and find it is also a bit difficult to find recommendations for non-professionels and first time summer intensive, but I will keep looking at your site.  Thank you.

Noodles

Hi Mathilde15, first I would like to offer that most of the programs that are reviewed and discussed here are done so by non-professional  dancers and their parents.

Here are my suggestions for navigating the world of SI programs. First make a list of what your dancer wants - Jazz? Lots of pointe work? Partnering? PT? Yoga? Character? 5 or 6 days per week of dancing? Planned weekend activities? A performance at the end? Also make a list of what you as the parent want out of an SI program - A supervised dorm? Meals provided? Small quiet town or big city to explore? etc. 

Combine your lists and then hit up the SI Research and Reviews thread here and start reading. Make notes of all of the programs that have many of the things you are looking for. Your list of potential summer programs will grow and you will head into auditions with an educated plan of which types of programs best suit your needs. Best of luck!