Ballet Talk for Dancers
bbyblmrs

So Danca College Fair

bbyblmrs

This might be of use to future HS students looking for a ballet college program.  DD attended the So Danca Collge Fair in Boca Raton FL at the beginning of January (it was postponed postponed from September).  Representatives from IU, Butler, SMU, OU, NYU Tisch, Utah, New World School, ADMA, AIley Fordham and a couple of others.  Students were able to take six classes over the weekend and attend information sessions.  Representatives gave the classes and also watched other classes in progress.  The set  up gave students the ability to experience technique from different institutions and allowed them to see how their training aligned with the schools.  It was unfortunate that it was postponed from September as it would have definitely helped DD eliminate a couple of the colleges due to style of ballet.  This would have also have been a cost and time saver making some of  the cross country trips unnecessary.  As an aside DD was accepted to four programs from that one weekend .

Desiderata

Thank you bbyblmrs, this is very helpful! Could you please expand on your DD being accepted to four programs that one weekend? Were these at schools to which she'd previously applied, did she apply at the fair, or were these just acceptances by the dance program and she'd still need to apply to the college?

Oinkteller

Thanks for this information! I wonder if they’ll keep it in Jan or move it back to Sept next year? 

Inurdrems9

My daughter was registered this year, but she couldn’t go because she had the flu. She did go last year as a junior. If my memory serves me correctly, the following schools were there last year (2018): 

Point Park, UNCSA, NYU, Butler, FSU, Arizona, IU, Oklahoma. Dean College, AMDA and New World were watching last year. 

This is a really good experience for Juniors and/or Seniors. She went there because her favorite College was there, but she learned a lot about the others. She received a scholarship for a summer program last year at one of the above (her favorite 😀). 

She was also able to narrow down her list to 3 schools this year, because she feels she knows what she wants out of a dance program (or at least she thinks so 😂). So, we have only had/have to travel to 3 instead of 8 😀.

bbyblmrs, I didn’t know they did acceptances there! That is great! I will pass this along to some of the Junior Moms for next year 😀.

Oinkteller, I think they always do it on Labor Day weekend. But, this year they had to cancel then move the date because of the hurricane. 

bbyblmrs

Desiderata, One she had applied to and auditioned for in the fall and was accepted to the academic and dance school.  A different faculty member attended the fair and she offered her a place.  Another college offered her a place in the ballet program but she would need to complete the application process for the school but would not need to have a formal audition.  The two others were dance programs with no academics which had not been on her radar as she wants a double or dual major.

Inurdrems9, It wasn't advertised as an audition I wonder if it was because of the time of year.  Perhaps if it had been in September the message may have been different.   From what I understand it is held Labor day weekend every year.

Desiderata

Thanks again so much bbyblmrs, this is all great information!