Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dancing at two studios

redvelvetcake

redvelvetcake

Hi everyone, 

After a summer program DS was offered a place in a pre professional school's transition/affiliate program.  When I  mentioned this to the director at his current school she wasn't happy and said she preferred another school but gave no reason. She hasn't vetoed the idea but has made it clear that she is unhappy. DS liked the school that made the offer, it has a great reputation, some male teachers and most importantly for him, several boys his age and older. The boys that train there do really well in terms of places in overseas schools and companies, so if he decides to stick with ballet it seemed like a good place to  go.  The transition program wont effect his schedule at the home studio so I am a bit confused by her stance.  DS(11) is the oldest boy at his studio, the others are all much younger. He has had no boys in his class for many years now and other than the summer programs and the odd workshop here and there, he is on his own.  

I ended up saying that we were going to accept the offer, unless there was a good reason not to.  I feel very confused by her stance especially as he has no offer from her preferred school, has never visited there and I don't even know if it has a transition program or many boys. 

My initial reaction is that she's disappointed to lose your dancer but can't/won't say it. She perhaps had visions and hopes for him at her studio. Losing older boys can be a blow to a studio for lots of reasons including partnering opportunities. It's unfortunate she isn't communicating more clearly but your choice sounds well thought out.  The new studio sounds like it has a lot going for it. Good luck! 

redvelvetcake

Thanks Thyme, I wondered if it was that, even though he would still be dancing there most of the week.  I am now feeling a bit anxious that she will treat him differently when he goes back next week.

Is there a reason he wouldn't just change studios? The new studio sounds a lot better from what you've described. I'm sure she's afraid of losing your son once he gets to see the new studio

redvelvetcake

Hi Moxie,

DS (11) is quite attached to his old studio and teachers.  He has been dancing there for several years. I'm not sure he would want to fully change yet. Also his sister attends there and getting them to two different studios at the same time would be difficult.  Next year when he is older I am hoping he can travel to ballet on his own some days.

It sounds like he can balance two studios for a bit, but you will probably need to make a decision to stay at one or the other in the next few years.  11 is too early to worry about which places have good placement records.  I think the teaching is most important now, and the inspiration and motivation that other boys can provide.

It would not hurt to check out the studio your AD recommended at some point, just in case it is a good choice.  It is nice to have choices.

I think a program with boys will be a real advantage for your son.  Good luck to him!

MomtoSamtheDancer

We did the exact same thing for three years, from the time DS was 10 turning 11 to 13. It was tough, but both studios worked with his schedule. He was in the same situation -- no boys at one studio and more boys at the other. At age 11, I wouldn't worry about it. But, once they get a bit older, your DS will likely have to make some choices. Hope it all works out!