Ballet Talk for Dancers
Helpmeplease

Help

Helpmeplease

So I had been taking ballet for 5 years at a crappy studio, when I switched to my current one now. I got into level 2, out of 5, and mostly stayed in the back. I got mucn better by the end of the year, but thsts not the point. I did a ballet production there, and loved it. I got a crappy part, but I still loved it. I wanted to do the next production too. I did really well at he autition, but I got another crappy part. I still had fun, I guess. I was in one scene, while everyone else my age got good parts. After that I tried out for the next ballet prodution season, with 2 differemt ballets. I got an actual OKish part in one, and a crappy part in another. But I loved it. I was in 9 scenes. But, the week before the show, I was playing a game with a tennis ball with a 10 year old. Suddenly she ran into me, and the ball left a mark on her face. It was completely an accident, and I quickly apologized. But, another student saw and thought I had slapped her, and told a teacher. The day before the first preformance I was not able to participate in the rehearsal. The next day, rhe day of the first preformamce, I got called into a meeting with the head of the company, and the ballet instructor. They told me I could not participate in either ballet because I had "slapped" the kid, even though I had explained it was am accident. I was depressed for 3 months after that. Soon we got level placements, and I had all the requirements to move up, but I did not. The next 3 months, all of the people in my class EXCEPT me moved up. So now I was stuck with a bunch of 10 year olds. Also, I am old enough, strong enough, and ready to go onto pointe, but my teacher wont even put me in pre pointe. Everyone else in the studio is in pre pointe, not to mention I am stronger than most of the girls on pointe now. My teacher barley acts like I am there, and she does not give me any compliments, nor feedback. She justs acts like I am not there. I am convinced she hates me. I wamt to move studios so I can do productions and go into at least pre pointe, but there are no other studios in my town, amd my parents wont drive to another time for a studio there. Can someone give me some advice on what to do? I just don't know what to do. Everyone younger than me, that I am better than, get solos, and other special stuff while I am just ignored. Please help.

vrsfanatic

It sounds like you are having a difficult time. May be could speak with the director again about this new situation? If you cannot get an appointment, it does should as if you could benefit from studying elsewhere.

Ballet Day

Is it possible to attend a summer intensive this year? I know this could be a relatively serious financial undertaking for your family, but, at the very least, it offers something to look forward to for the rest of the semester, in addition to a chance to get away from your studio for the summer.

At the most, it (depending on the summer intensive) could open up opportunities for year-round training. I don’t know how to improve the situation your are currently in, other than, as Ms. Vrsfanatic said, to bring the issue up again to the director. Perhaps set up a meeting with the director, yourself, and your parents, that way your parents can help advocate for you.

Helpmeplease

My parents say that I might be able to do a summer production somewhere, but we can't find any studio that has one. They say I can do intensives. I will ask them about setting up a meeting. Thanks

Clara 76

I'm still reflecting back to how the tennis ball game occurred at a ballet school in a ballet studio??? Regardless of whether it was an accident or not, why were we playing with a ball of any kind indoors at a ballet school? Might that decision have been a poor one showing poor judgement? There are plenty of ballet students with good decision-making skills and focus.......perhaps there isn't anything wrong with your technique, but simply a question of maturity? 

I don't know because I don't know you nor do I know your teacher/s or your training environment, but I will tell you that behavior is a factor in level placement.