Ballet Talk for Dancers
elliett

Starting ballet at age 16?

elliett

I've been dancing since I was 9, I'm very flexible and have okayish turn out but am very, very far behind based on ballet technique. However my old dance school never really took ballet seriously and I really want to start a proper ballet school but I don't want to work my butt off for it if I probably will never be able to be a professional. I know this is a difficult question to answer so rather than trying to tell me whether you think I could make it or not could you just tell me what you personally would do in my situation? 

Thank you

vrsfanatic

Well, if I wanted to be a professional, I would start by getting the best training I could, work as hard as I could and keep pursuing it relentlessly. However you say you do not want to work that hard. That being the case, continue where you are and just enjoy the journey. Only problem is that if you do not try, you will never know what might had been had you made a commitment!

elliett

Thank you, P.S I didn't mean I don't want to work hard I meant I didn't want to work hard if I just simply was not going to get anywhere despite it :)

vrsfanatic

One continues to dance with National Ballet of Canada and the other danced with Pennsylvania Ballet, Maurice Bejart Ballet and Frankfurt Ballet. One never knows. There is no crystal ball. Doing the work can lead to so many options.

OldSoulDancer

(sorry if this is against the rules in any way, please remove it if it is)

You absolutely have a shot!  It's not going to be easy by any means, but a surprising number of late starters have done amazingly well!  Misty Copeland, for instance, started at 13 but she's a bit of an exception because she was such a prodigy.  But many others have gone on professionally in far fewer years than most dancers.  One even started in her 20s, I believe, although I could be misremembering that.  Pointe Magazine has some very good articles on the topic of late starters; I would suggest taking a look at those.

As a late starter in progress myself, my advice is just research everything.  Everything from where your turnout comes from to how to point your feet to how to stand, even the most basic things that you think you already know.  A lot of ballet is very easy to get away with getting wrong for a little while, especially when you're a late starter, but it's so much better in the long run to do everything properly from the get-go.  Also get in the habit of a daily strengthening routine, and stretching routine.  Just make sure you don't overdo anything.  Research safe stretching, and how to prevent muscle soreness and/or injuries.  Even if you don't think you'll need to know something for a while, it never hurts to learn.

For getting in ballet shape and advancing technically, aside from the obvious (taking class at a good studio), I highly recommend Kathryn Morgan's channel on YouTube.  She has everything from pre-professional advice to stage makeup tutorials to barre and center classes of all leves to different workouts and stretching routines.  She's a really wonderful resource.

vrsfanatic

Not against the rules at all. Your post backups what I said. I am not so inclined to recommend current ballet dancers as teacher, but since I do not know Ms. Morgan's work, I cannot object.