Ballet Talk for Dancers
GingerMama

What to do when a child wants more of a challenge?

GingerMama

Thanks Orange Blossom for the great suggestion! I’ll tell her about it and I think it’s something she could really enjoy and give her something to focus on. 

Thanks dancemaven for the ideas! She’s taking music lessons and on a swim team so we do think cross training is important and she loves music. Again we have no interest in speeding anything up but she does seem ready for more. 

Again she’s not bored of ballet in the sense that she doesn’t appreciate the style itself. She loves it and understands how important it is to build upon the movements. Her ballet teacher stopped me yesterday to tell me how strong she is in ballet and mentioned how much she has been assisting in class so it was a perfect time to mention that she wants more of a challenge. Her teacher agreed and went to check into moving her up to the next level early but that class is full so she offered to look into more ways to keep her challenged and motivated which we obviously appreciate. I know she’s young but she’s very focused and really loves being challenged so I think she is just craving more which her teacher wasn’t surprised by. This is all new to me so I’m just trying to keep up with her. Thanks so much for your help!

twinkleandturn

Hi GingerMama-have you heard of rhythmic gymnastics?  It is a blend of gymnastics and dance-very athletic and challenging.  It is an olympic sport.  Maybe your daughter would enjoy taking a rhythmic gymnastics class.  I've never met anyone that has not felt challenged in a rhythmic gymnastics class of any level and the training translates well to dance/ballet.  

Do you think maybe your daughter is craving more athleticism than what is being offered in her current ballet class?  Maybe something with more conditioning would scratch the itch?  Not saying ballet isn't a workout by any means, so please don't misinterpret, but sometimes my young dancer will say certain classes "worked" her more than others, and she can be frustrated at times if she feels class was too "easy".

GingerMama

Thanks twinkleandturn for the suggestion! I will look see if we have rhythmic gymnastics in our area. That does sound fun! What would something with more conditioning mean? From hearing her talk she is frustrated that her teachers have her working on things the rest of her class is not doing yet in her classes and she really loves getting to do those things but she wants to do more of that. I think she is just ready to move up to a higher level in those classes so she is frustrated by not working at that level the whole time. It makes sense to me that her teachers only have so much time to give her in class and it’s great they are giving her harder things to do but because it’s not where the rest of the class is at there is only so much they can do. 

Ballet2101

I'll second the Rhythmic Gymnastics recommendation   Our Dk's started with Rhythmic before Ballet and found that they were much more flexible than their peers (and still are).  This has helped them tremendously in Ballet.

Water

My daughter was bored when she was 7.. And then almost quit when she was 8 because the next level up was "too hard." And then at 9 she went up another level and loved ballet again. Two years later, still happy, can't understand why she was bored. I think it's a phase some kids go through, for a lot of reasons already stated- it's a lot of repetition, not all the kids get what the big deal is about technique, etc. So there might be nothing to do except acknowledge that ballet isn't super exciting right now, but it is sure to get mire interesting over time. And she will surely be glad she worked hard on all those boring tendus when she gets up to the combinations and turns and stuff.

Penguin69

If she is doing several different dance classes, swimming and an instrument maybe adding another activity is a bit much.