Ballet Talk for Dancers

Sun King Camp—2020

doormouse

So I can find a few threads on this, but none recent, so thought I'd ask...

Having got a chunk of back pay late last year, ì'm going for it! I've booked my flights, i have three days in Washington (because its cheaper to fly midweek!) before I work out now to get a bus to Richmond. So far, I hear nothing but good things, so fingers crossed it's going to be really good.

So if anyone has been before....

What did you choose in terms of long and short days? What would you recommend? I'm not overly fussed about pas de deux, but would be fun to try it....

What did you bring with you? At this point I'm thinking all the dance wear I own..... more than one pair of pointe shoes?

What the weather like in June?! Bearing in mind the north of England is considerably further north than Virginia......

Would you advise staying at one of the hotels they partner with? I might be able to get an Airbnb cheaper, but I know public transport isn't brilliant, and I would worry a bit about getting to and from. I can drive, but don't really fancy dealing with left hand drive and right (wrong! 😉) side of the road stuff...

And any and all advice gratefully received!

• 2 months later...
silvergreydancer

As Sun king in June is canceled have you thought of anywhere else to go. There is a group from the UK that attended Sun King and has set something similar up in London. If you are interested I can try to get you info.

• 1 month later...
MattMan

I signed up for the Sun King June program as well.  It then morphed into a second August program, and was then "re-deferred" to 2021.  I was super-bummed when I heard the news.  Hope to meet you there next year!  

• 3 months later...
StormTrouper

If you are on the west coast there’s little SK action in Washington State lately, however there is Charles Maple’s SI for adults which is a very excellent way to experience concentrated ballet work and conditioning.

Edited by StormTrouper
Redbookish

There are various ballet retreats and intensives running in the UK. A couple I can think of off the top of my head - in no particular order or endorsement - the Ballet Retreat organisation does weekends in Leeds & London; En Avant Ballet does residential ballet & well-being retreats in the UK and elsewhere (v. expensive IMO); pre-COVID-19, the English National Ballet and the Royal Academy of Dance do various day workshops for adult dancers in London and Birmingham.

I am from the West Coast/USA and looked closely at the adult summer intensive offerings of Ballet West (the Salt Lake City version) and Sun King (apparently now just Richmond, VA).  As I will need to travel compared to a full week program the weekend workshops are difficult to justify the built-in baseline airfare expense.  The adult SI programs offered by Maple's and San Francisco are appealing as well but may be better fit for dancers with more experience than I have.  (I took my first class almost two years ago, this coming USA Thanksgiving.)