Ballet Talk for Dancers
mamaphd_ballet

YAGP and "professional dancers"

mamaphd_ballet

I know that YAGP has a policy on dancers with contracts to companies, but has anyone ever heard any rumblings on other types of "professional dancers?" I'm talking children that have been on TV shows, danced in major commercial productions (not company productions), etc. It seems this year that there have been numbers YouTube/IG stars not only competing, but winning, and then being featured on the YAGP instagram? Often, they place higher in contemporary. I understand YAGP is about the experience, but when child from a good local school/studio is up against someone with 1M followers on social media... doesn't it seem like the latter is a professional?

Momof3darlings

Insta famous is not a paid professional contract with a company.  Acting (yes acting) on a Reality TV show is not the same as being paid to dance professionally.  Students are students and how many followers someone has does not determine whether their talent and performance quality is better than another student’s.  Whether YAGP falls under the spell of Insta fame may be another discussion.  But Instafame is not a professional contract.  And in my humble opinion, is not the lesson to come away from the training and competition should be focused on.  

learningdance

I think that YAGP uses these insta kids to further it's brand. No, they are not professionals. Dance is actually an art of MOVEMENT not 2 dimensions. 

meatball77

The rules are clear about needing a contract of a certain number of weeks from a company.  Being on a reality show, or even having danced in a broadway show or dancing as a guest artist (some of those instafamous kids do guest spots in nutcrackers) is not the same as being in a company.

turnout

The fact that a dancer has a high number of followers does not make them a professional dancer. Social media is here to stay and I'm guessing that most dancers have an account, if not multiple accounts. YAGP is what it its. It's not the only competition with a strong social media presence, they all have one. If a dancer enjoys the experience of competition then great, if it's not a good choice for a dancer then skip it. I'm a parent of a non IG/YouTube star.  :)