Ballet Talk for Dancers
Phx115

Studio closed? Now what?

MoDance

I once read an article about a Miss America who grew up poor. Apparently she wanted to play piano but they didn’t have one at home for her to practice on after her weekly lessons. So she drew one out on cardboard and used that for practice. Do what you can with what you have. 

Noodles
1 hour ago, Oreo said:

What is the point of having a live streamed class if you don't have a ballet barre, sprung floors and room to travel across the floor????

Doing a full barre is better than nothing! My dancer can use a counter, chair or back of sofa as a barre. She won't do center work, since we do not have the proper floor. Her basic focus will be on cross training.

dancingjet

Noodles, that's likely what DD will do too, though hopefully the ballet department will be sharing their plans tomorrow. 

nynydancer

I am actually annoyed our studio hasn’t shut yet and am thinking to pull my dk’s. 2 weeks off will probably do them good and there is plenty of homework they can catch up on and they can stretch and do barre etc.  

Although to be fair, I was one who went from “what’s the fuss this is just a flu” to being very concerned. 

I think they can definitely keep in shape at home and a rest never seems to ever hurt. Also maybe we can go back to living room performances, which DD hasn’t done in years!  

motherhem

I know all dancers are sad about not having classes suddenly.

If your child is young, it is fine to miss class but if your child is older and has been taking classes for the last 8+ years, they could probably do an online class and be fine for a couple of weeks. Think of this like summer break before the SI

I know, Tiler Peck is doing a live class via Instagram tomorrow. Katherine Morgan has YouTube videos. The school attached to my daughter’s company is recording classes and PBT for youtube for their students.  I have heard other schools will be doing the same.

I know when professionals have Christmas or summer break they do their own cross training and classes. They don’t often do across the floor at home, but they stay in shape so they can go back to class at the end of break without too much difficulty.

meatball77

We have the ability to drop into the studio whenever we want even though it's closed so we'll probably be going in for her to work out by herself a couple times a week once she gets a bit antsy.  She made a playlist and will be doing choreography with her teacher either in person without touching or via skype for her contemporary solo next year.

dancemaven

PSA:  Please work with your dancers’ teachers to work out what is a good thing to be doing “in the meantime”.  We ask that members do NOT make lists or recommendations of online courses/classes, etc.

Please work with your teachers for alternatives.  

This, too, will pass.  We are all in the same boat—everywhere.  From my DD’s experience, I can tell you that it IS possible to be out of ballet completely for any number of months and still get back to the professional level and in audition form.  It is not necessary to stress, faff, and worry about this aspect of this mess.  The dancers can cross-train, play outdoors, get exercise, do their flexibility stretches and strengthening exercises they’ve learned in class.

Please consult your teachers for alternatives to their classes.

RaisingBallerina

I would like to pass this along as encouragement, although I'm not sure if it would be considered hearsay... A lovely professional corps dancer at a 3-letter US company personally told me recently that some dancers who had returned from maternity leave at her company were coming back stronger and better than ever.  This dancer had to take off 7 months to heal an injury and was also dancing very well.  Her take was it was the first time these dancers had any meaningful amount of rest and it allowed them to actually improve.  I would consider having a baby to be hard on the body in so many ways so I found this really surprising, but it also strangely makes sense.  

I am as stressed as anyone for my DD, who is a graduating senior in pursuit of trainee opportunities.  What has seemed like an unbearable amount of uncertainty has now grown into a new dimension.  However, she hasn't had more than 10 days off ballet in the last year and a half!  I am hopeful that the downtime will provide a few benefits, and let some nagging things heal.  

Justinitforfun

Our studio closed as of this week and already is arranging remote classes via Zoom, which is the same app my kids' school will be using for online learning. I've seen it in action, and it's working great! It's in real time (though it will be recorded and the kids can access the class later) and the teacher can see each individual kid on the screen. She's even been able to give corrections. They are doing barre work and small amount of center (not across the floor, obviously). Starting next week they will get back to an almost full schedule via video and will even be continuing to learn new choreo for recital (though I personally am skeptical if there will be one, but might as well prepare in case!) I've been really impressed with this system!

dancedad12

Hi-I've been curious how this works. We have a smaller house with carpeting in the main open spaces. Do all the kids participating in this option have an ideal space to dance? I'm not sure how my dancer would do a nearly full schedule from our house! Barre would be one thing, but I can't imagine much more than that.

Justinitforfun

Dancedad - no, they don't all have an ideal space. My DD is using our sunroom and pushing all the furniture back. She is on berber carpet which is pretty flat. I have seen lots of screenshots of all the other dancers and it looks like kids are making do - bedrooms, yoga mat on floor in garage, hardwood in foyer or kitchen, etc. Using home portable barres, banister on stairwell, back of a kitchen chair, countertop, etc. When I say nearly full schedule I mean the time involved. The type of dance will be different and will be a lot more conditioning than usual. I didn't get to watch the actual class (and my DD wouldn't let me even if I had been home, lol) but like I said, she was able to get personal and specific corrections (not sure what, exactly). I think it is about the best scenario I could have envisioned under the circumstances. 

dancedad12

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying. And I appreciate all the studios doing their best under the most challenging of circumstances!

Ballet_Mage

First, this is the first time I've been able to see my dancer's bedroom floor all year.  DD has been recording snippets of her morning technique from her room, cross training like never before and - without her normal 3 hour to 4 hour daily commute - recouping her time.  She made the companies IG story of dancers dancing in social isolation.  Today her group chat with her dance level (they are never unconnected)  has decided to facetime their modern fortifications together.  Each will record their performance in their homes at one time and post the composite.  Trying to remain strong, continuing to do what they love.

Phx115

We ended up scrapping the privates plan. DD’s current studio has been holding live virtual classes all week. It’s not perfect but pretty great! The kids still get personal corrections because everyone is in the live meeting for the class. Barre work definitely is the best. Jazz is kind of rough (the music gets loud)!! Contemporary is interesting as she rolls on the floor. Our dining room has become a dance studio complete with her portable barre. Honestly, the best part is 6 days a week she has at least 2-3 hrs of a scheduled activity during the day.

ETA: A few descriptive details. The only negative is DD is 13 and my goodness if anyone dares to go into the kitchen while she's on video (somebody might see!!!) well ... you can imagine!!

Edited by Phx115
Added info

tx_dancer

This is all so encouraging to read. DD’s studio (and academic school) was on spring break this week so she was already scheduled to be “off.” However, with the rapidly escalating Coronavirus situation, the dance studio has suspended classes for at least the next six weeks. We’re awaiting specifics, but the administration’s intent is to provide some sort of online classes.