Ballet Talk for Dancers
sarah5332

Any jobs / performance opportunities / companies for 15 year old dancers?

sarah5332

I'm a 15 year old dancer currently living in Sydney and in need of a job, so if any fellow dancers either in Sydney or outside of Sydney have any jobs for dancers, any performance opportunities (eg musicals, theatre performances, etc) or any dance companies to join, please send them through. I'd really like to take part in a musical, however I have very very little experience in vocal training, so any musical opportunities as a strict dancer would be appreciated too.

Thank you so so much :)

Clara 76

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, sarah5332!

I have some concerns about your requests. The first one is that you are under 18 years of age, which is typically considered to still be a student-dancer. Unfortunately there will not be many legitimate dance jobs due to liability issues for someone as young as you are. I fear that there are people who might take advantage of your youth, so please be careful. 

The other thing would be that you are naturally by virtue of your age, less experienced as a dancer, and it might be best for you to continue working as a student until you gain more experience in life as well as in dance. Many dancers babysit or clean or come up with other ingenious ways to help pay for their lessons. If your situation is that you are trying to help your family then I hope they are appreciative of that. If your situation is more dire, there may be agencies that could assist.