Ballet Talk for Dancers

Boy's/Men's Forum - Can I Post?

OldSoulDancer

Hello.  I was wondering if I could post in the men's forum?  I am not a man nor a woman, but I dance ballet partially in the male style and have questions that I think I would find helpful answers to there.

P.S if an administrator or moderator could answer this please, that would be great.  Last time I asked someone said it was just for adult men, and since I'm not an adult I can't post in it, but the subtitle says, "For boys and men who dance," so I'm guessing that's not true.

I will look into your request. It would be very odd to have under aged young people and adults in that Forum but I really do not know. Please be patient until I am able to find a Moderator who is active in this forum. Thank you.

So, OldSoulDancer, the consensus is that as with all students, it is time to make a choice with regards to training: I recommend that dancers select the track that they'd prefer, train heavily in that track, and leave the other elements for additives once they've reached proficiency in the previous selected track.

Without focus one runs a risk of becoming a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none.  

What do you mean in terms of track?  Do you mean genre?  I want to train in ballet, I'm very confident in that.

Edit: If you meant vocational versus recreational pursuit, I'm also confident that I want to attempt a career in ballet.  I have and continue to work towards that, and I'm currently enrolled in a semi pre-professional school.

OldSoulDancer, we mean that you need to focus on one gender at a time in order to build and focus on the necessary skills and technique training.  Train well in one gender path and then add the other path training later once your skill and technical proficiency is in place.   Trying to do both at once is counterproductive.  

Think of the Trocks as an example.  They grew up training as male dancers.  Later, when they joined the Trocks, they took up pointe and the female gender roles.  Even though that style of gender fluidity may not be the style you are envisioning, the concept is the same:  anchor your training in one gender path and then add the other later once you have your skills and technique firmly in place.

Oh okay, that does make a lot of sense.  However, I still have some questions regarding strengthening (after all, even if technique should be taken one thing at a time, strengthening from what I know can be done whenever).

All dancers MUST be strong! In order to become as strong as possible dancers must consult with doctors, nutritionists, and other professionals in order to come up with a plan that will allow for optimal strength.

• 7 months later...
On 3/25/2020 at 2:18 PM, OldSoulDancer said:

Hello.  I was wondering if I could post in the men's forum?  I am not a man nor a woman, but I dance ballet partially in the male style and have questions that I think I would find helpful answers to there.

P.S if an administrator or moderator could answer this please, that would be great.  Last time I asked someone said it was just for adult men, and since I'm not an adult I can't post in it, but the subtitle says, "For boys and men who dance," so I'm guessing that's not true.

Yes, I also am not a man or a woman, but dance partially in the male style. I am not mocking anyone and I am not trolling, I experience the same thing. Can we expand the conversation to Male Ballet Styles or something more inclusive, that is not defined by gender? Or start a newer one to include us? I am very new here, and I am sorry if I stepped over any toes. 

Hi Mylesocean,

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers and I'm glad you have found us.  You are not the only person in this position, and things have changed a lot since that forum was set up in the early 2000's.

There are always issues in all forums where there are restrictions (of which there are a number here on BT4D), all with the intent of keeping discussion contained to various degrees, to protect posters (eg. minors and adults), and also so that discussions can be kept frank and free.

I will close this topic temporarily and bring the topic to attention of all Moderators to discuss further.  There is always a balance to be struck in each forum between keeping the original intent of the discussion and the current society we live in.  (I hear there is much discussion of comfort of dance belts on that forum which I personally do not need to be a part of 🤣) Please be patient with us as we give this genuine consideration.

• Miss Persistent locked this topic
  • Miss Persistent unlocked this topic

Thank you to all for your patience.

After much discussion between the Moderation team, we wish to offer the following clarifications for the 'Men's Forum'.

The original intent and purpose of the Men's Forum was to firstly, group together related discussion topics to allow our forum to be easily accessible and create a comprehensive knowledge base.  Secondly, to allow a sub-sector of our Ballet community to have a space to discuss issues relating to their specific dance journey.  These principles are over arching throughout our entire Board where we have a number of restricted forums, and guidelines about where topics should appear and how they are organised. 

To that extent, we wish to clarify that the Men's forum is reserved for discussion on topics related to male classical ballet training and performing.  We feel it is important to recognise that regardless of gender or preferences, there is a standard training path for those wishing to undertake male roles in classical ballet, the same way there is a traditional training path for those wishing to undertake female roles in classical ballet.  The forum description will soon be updated to reflect this.

If a question can be addressed in another general forum, it should be placed there as per our regular policies.  Posters are asked to respect the general intention of each forum and only post first hand experience.  For example, If a parent gets involved in the Teachers forum it would be moved or hidden, a Pointe Shoe topic in SI's would be moved as per our general Moderation policies. The Moderators work hard to ensure the board is kept organised and safe for everyone.  If you are in doubt if you should post in a specific forum, please ask for clarification from a Moderator.

Thank you,

The BT4D Moderation Team