Ballet Talk for Dancers
OldSoulDancer

Boy's/Men's Forum - Can I Post?

OldSoulDancer

Hello.  I was wondering if I could post in the men's forum?  I am not a man nor a woman, but I dance ballet partially in the male style and have questions that I think I would find helpful answers to there.

P.S if an administrator or moderator could answer this please, that would be great.  Last time I asked someone said it was just for adult men, and since I'm not an adult I can't post in it, but the subtitle says, "For boys and men who dance," so I'm guessing that's not true.

vrsfanatic

I will look into your request. It would be very odd to have under aged young people and adults in that Forum but I really do not know. Please be patient until I am able to find a Moderator who is active in this forum. Thank you.

OldSoulDancer

Oh, thank you. :)

Clara 76

So, OldSoulDancer, the consensus is that as with all students, it is time to make a choice with regards to training: I recommend that dancers select the track that they'd prefer, train heavily in that track, and leave the other elements for additives once they've reached proficiency in the previous selected track.

Without focus one runs a risk of becoming a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none.  

OldSoulDancer

What do you mean in terms of track?  Do you mean genre?  I want to train in ballet, I'm very confident in that.

Edit: If you meant vocational versus recreational pursuit, I'm also confident that I want to attempt a career in ballet.  I have and continue to work towards that, and I'm currently enrolled in a semi pre-professional school.

dancemaven

OldSoulDancer, we mean that you need to focus on one gender at a time in order to build and focus on the necessary skills and technique training.  Train well in one gender path and then add the other path training later once your skill and technical proficiency is in place.   Trying to do both at once is counterproductive.  

Think of the Trocks as an example.  They grew up training as male dancers.  Later, when they joined the Trocks, they took up pointe and the female gender roles.  Even thought that style of gender fluidity may not be the style you are envisioning, the concept is the same:  anchor your training in one gender path and then add the other later once you have your skills and technique firmly in place.

OldSoulDancer

Oh okay, that does make a lot of sense.  However, I still have some questions regarding strengthening (after all, even if technique should be taken one thing at a time, strengthening from what I know can be done whenever).