Ballet Talk for Dancers
Our Thanks and Gratitude to Everyone Who Has Contributed to Our 2020 Fundraiser <3 <3 <3
dancemaven

2020-2021 Second Company, Apprentice, Trainee Congrats thread

dancemaven

The purpose of this thread is to congratulate those who have accepted a paid positions with a professional company or are furthering their training in a company training position such as a Bridge program that falls halfway between company and school.  This does not include those that are simply a transition to the top level of a Company school.  In all of these positions there will be some sort of pay be that pointe shoes, pay per performance , or a full company or 2nd company contract. This thread is for those who have made the transition from student to professional because of the contract status with the actual company.  Some Trainee programs will meet these standards and others will not.  If you are unsure, instead of posting that in this thread, please pm one of our Moderators.

If you are the parent or dancer whose journey is documented in prior years, please feel free to update with your dancers current situation, changes along the way, be that still dancing, going back to school or fully engaged in a new career.  Those questions will be italicized in this form.  

Feel free to either write the information in paragraph form or use the guideline we've developed over time.

So as coined by one of our members, Let the "Contractuballetions" begin:

(Sample form)
Main/Most recent training: (ex. small local school, small company affiliated school, residency, etc. Do not list the program unless you want to)

Level of school completed: high school grad, partial college, college grad
Audition method: SI audition, Company Class, Cattle Call, Video, YAGP, etc.
Position granted: Secured Trainee position as school, Trainee as company, Apprentice with pay or without, Corp, Soloist, etc.
Position process/progress: promoted from Trainee, promoted from Apprentice, from "outside", 2nd year in same position, etc.
If Trainee: School Trainee, Bridge Trainee or if 2nd company does it function as school/company
Location of company: US, Canada, Europe, etc., not the actual city or company itself unless you'd like to share
Was this contract offered at a competition or because of competition attendance? Yes/No, explain if necessary

What words of wisdom would you offer those coming behind you about your journey or what you've learned being in the journey?

If "graduated" on to college, other careers, teaching, other positions after dancing professionally for a time, etc.  Please share that path and wisdom from it:   

Anything else you'd like to share about the actual journey:

picardythird

Main/Most recent training: (ex. small local school, small company affiliated school, residency, etc. Do not list the program unless you want to) Grad/trainee type program

Level of school completed: high school grad, partial college, college grad High School Graduate
Audition method: SI audition, Company Class, Cattle Call, Video, YAGP, etc.Promoted from Apprentice. Initial apprentice contract offered after company class
Position granted: Secured Trainee position as school, Trainee as company, Apprentice with pay or without, Corp, Soloist, etc.  Company contract. Company is not ranked after apprentice level. Weekly salary plus shoes
Position process/progress: promoted from Trainee, promoted from Apprentice, from "outside", 2nd year in same position, etc. Promoted from apprentice
If Trainee: School Trainee, Bridge Trainee or if 2nd company does it function as school/company
Location of company: US, Canada, Europe, etc., not the actual city or company itself unless you'd like to share United States
Was this contract offered at a competition or because of competition attendance? Yes/No, explain if necessary No 

What words of wisdom would you offer those coming behind you about your journey or what you've learned being in the journey? I wish I had words of wisdom! We look back on many things we wish we had done differently. My daughter trained at a school associated with a small company and danced with that company during high school. The training was actually not great but I always felt we couldn't afford to send her away. She has often wondered where she would be if she had!  

Also, I often read posts by parents of younger dancers who stress about so many things and wonder whether they should let their child continue to pursue this dream. My advice has been stated already by many others but I just want to emphasize to just enjoy their dancing and all that goes with it in the moment and stop worrying about the future. It is so incredibly difficult to get a job in ballet (especially now) that I think you need to assume it won't happen and be satisfied with all the other wonderful things that your child gets from ballet training.But don't lose hope. It can happen and you will be as happy and excited as I am haha!  Enjoy the journey! 

dancemaven

Congratulations to your DD (and you), picardythird! How lovely and such great news in the current environment. :D

5678balletmom

Congratulations to you and your DD. Wonderful news!!

Noodles

Congratulations to your dancer! Thank you for taking the time to share 🙂

NYCMOM

Congratulations to you and your DD!

taktdancers

Congratulations to you and your DD, Picardythird! So wonderful to hear great news. 

picardythird

Thank you all! She and I are fully aware that these are uncertain times so who knows what will actually happen next year but she has a signed contract in hand so I'm just going to celebrate that and hope for the best! She is in an area of the country that is not as hard hit as some and things are already opening back up so fingers crossed they can actually have a fall season. Hoping for the best for everyone else!

Ballerina'sMom

Congratulations!

InTheWings

Congratulations to you and your dancer!! :hyper:

motherhem

Congratulations!!

Momof3darlings

Congratulations to you and your dancer!  Such wonderful news and a blessing during these times.  

mom2two

YAY!!  Congratulations.  Happy to hear any good news these days.  

Ballet_Mage

Congratulations to you and your DD.  It is good to hear that even in these unprecedented times the art is still moving forward.  

suebobk1

Great news! Congratulations 😃