Ballet Talk for Dancers
Our Thanks and Gratitude to Everyone Who Has Contributed to Our 2020 Fundraiser <3 <3 <3
anikaballet

Weight shift when switching feet

anikaballet

I always hear from one of my teachers that my weight shifts should not be seen, but I don't know how I'm supposed to do that while keeping my weight over my toes (I have a bad habit of all my weight being on my heels). It is especially hard with alternating tendus in first and fifth. Might there be a different way to explain it that will make more sense to me?

vrsfanatic

Anikaballet I am not really able to answer your question because having the weight solely on the ballet of the foot does not allow for invisible weight shifts when transferring from one leg to the other in 1st position. In 5th position it might  e a bit less noticeable, but still noticeable. Ask you teacher if the weight should be on the whole foot or only on the ###### of the feet.

anikaballet

Sorry, I misspoke. I meant having weight over the ball of my foot instead of it all being on my heels. So like even weight over my whole foot instead of concentrated solely over my heel (a bad habit I've had since I started figure skating). I feel my weight shifts are still very noticeable.

Clara 76

Are your knees hyperextended?

anikaballet

No, they're not.