Ballet Talk for Dancers
Our Thanks and Gratitude to Everyone Who Has Contributed to Our 2020 Fundraiser <3 <3 <3
AnastasiaBeav

Zoom classes are not working for my dancer

DanceMumNYC

My DD has said the same thing. Zoom classes are just not “it.” It’s hard to give/apply corrections without the hands on approach for kids, we’re still worried she may not have the proper flooring, etc. She’s getting much more out of just doing conditioning & stretching on the side. We all just want to be back in the studio. Though she now has so many SI options available, I’m not sure if they’ll even be worth it. 

Please let us know how she responds to private zoom classes as opposed to the group classes. 

dancingjet

I talked to my daughter yesterday and she said she's tired of doing ballet in her living room, that she'd rather go for a run or a hike. She's not tired of ballet, but the online format is uninspiring and just plain not ballet.

balletmom676

My 12 yo DD really enjoyed the Zoom classes at first, but after a few weeks she started to lose motivation. She said it felt like an obligation rather than something she was excited to do. She was actually getting really depressed and losing interest in everything. I think going from having days completely filled with activities to just hanging out at home was a welcome break at first. But now, it is just too hard to keep the motivation up. 

We started working on some fun creative  home improvement projects to break up the monotony of it all. Also, she and I go for a 30 minute walk with the dog each morning before we start our day. We talk about our plans for the day, what we hope to accomplish, what things are making us sad/happy, etc. We do it every morning that weather has permitted. The days we don't get to go on the walk, her mood is worse. The days we walk she gets so much accomplished and feels much better about her classes. That 30 minutes outside really seems to help.

Phx115

My 14-yr-old has been doing Zoom or Google Hangouts 6 days a week since mid-March. She hasn't complained once and has missed only three classes (due to family celebrations). Some days she has just a two-hr ballet/"pointe" class and other days has 3-4 hrs. She's dancing in the kitchen and using her phone (and WON'T listen to reason when I suggest she try different angles so she doesn't keep the phone in portrait). Her belief that SHE knows best is an entirely different topic.

I ask her at least once a week how's she feeling about the classes. She says they are okay, but not the same as in person. We added one ballet and one conditioning class at the studio she will most likely be attending in the summer/fall (who knows?) and that brings a bit of change to the routine as well as more of a challenge. I've suggested that maybe if she tries other live classes out there it might provide some variety. She doesn't seem too interested in that because she says she wants classes where she will receive corrections, period. She also isn't particularly motivated to do much on her own. The Bosu ball I bought hasn't been used much. She claims she stretches, etc., but I don't see it. I don't push it considering what she is already doing. However, I've mentioned things I've seen like choreography "competitions," etc., and she isn't interested. Her YAGP audition video (for her studio to select who may attend) is due soon and she just seems to be going through the motions. 

I'm worried about the summer, even though as of now her SI hasn't been cancelled or even changed to online. I can't believe it won't be an online format and even IF it meets our criteria, I think she could very well hit that wall if she has to Zoom it for 3-4 more months. IF we will ever hear anything from her program, I then have to decide whether I splurge on a home studio in the basement and have her set up with a laptop, etc., or just buy one of the Harlequin mats and have her dance out on the deck. LOL! Seriously, the other issue we seem to be having is that even with our internet provider's highest speed, she still cuts in and out of the live classes. We live about as far out in the suburbs as you can get before horse/farm country. We're waiting on my new laptop and a new router. Obviously, if all of that doesn't make a difference THEN what? I know she gets frustrated with the technical issues and I know she feels like her current kitchen "studio" makes us look "poor" - her words, not mine.

Ballet2101

Plugging your new laptop directly into your new router with an old fashioned Ethernet cord will make the maximum use of your bandwidth.  Half of the streaming problems start with the wifi connection in the house.  Good Luck!

AnastasiaBeav

My DD did her first Zoom private and she really liked it. She said she needed the direct feedback to feel connected. So for now we are going to use the money from the SIs we dropped out of to pay for twice a week lessons. The teacher said she wants my DD to focus on the corrections she got from previous classes to show it is worth it (which I appreciate). Also I got a white alignment belt for DD so it is easier for the teacher to see her waist. I need to check on if it was helpful.