Ballet Talk for Dancers

Articles: Where Is Your Outrage? Article by Theresa Ruth Howard - MOBBallet

Over the past few weeks, with Black Lives Matter supportive protests in every state and most countries, it was good to see that most ballet companies took the first step to acknowledge racism and lack of diversity in the world of ballet. However, that in itself is not enough. After 4 of the largest ballet studios in our town of approximately 120K posted in support of BlackOut Tuesday, I challenged all 4 to take next steps to be more inclusive and do more than just post their support. My daughter is only 1 of 2 Black ballet dancers within ages 11+ for all age levels within the four studios in our area. Has she had her share of racist incidents in the ballet world up to this point? You better believe it.

I wanted to share this article written by Theresa Ruth Howard of MOBBallet (https://mobballet.org/).  I would love to see other local and national ballet companies take these active steps and implement them as foundational policy for their companies.

https://www.dancemagazine.com/dance-companies-black-lives-matter-2646141415.html?rebelltitem=6#rebelltitem6

Thank you BebeJ.  i passed this link on to others in the dance world.

Bavalay

BebeJ, thank you.  I needed that today.  It's shaky, but I hope my DD school takes these actions presented and that the faculty, staff. and AD have read the article; and are having serious discussions

vrsfanatic

Theresa Ruth Howard has been doing amazing work in the ballet community for quite a few years. She is articulate and filled with thought provoking ideas and recommendations. May the ballet world follow her lead.

Everyone, you're welcome. I, too, hope the ballet world will listen and begin to implement real change for their companies and not just words to appease for the moment. Also, as parents with students in local ballet/dance schools, we must be willing to present this to our ADs and educate ourselves on how we can continue the talks for inclusion within that particular community. This should start with the local schools because as students become professionals/teachers, so do their ideals, unconscious bias and prejudices with them and supportive of the systemic structure of racism. 

Listed below are equality resources and a guide for companies presented by Ballet Black: https://balletblack.co.uk/the-company/equality-resources/?fbclid=IwAR1rbNV9DFGYF10QaQTengV162nRC6XnHj25uQ8IstNFymuMnKso9E-HM9s

beehive1

Thank you for the links - these are great points and suggestions - I love the "change not trend" in the balletblack link - that's so key. It can't be just about making a statement in the trending moment. It has to be about learning to embrace a change.

• 2 weeks later...
vrsfanatic

A very important letter, but please note, the author is not Theresa Ruth Howard, not that that matters, but the name of the thread is specifically about her important input.

Since one of Ms. Howard's initiatives was mentioned (The Equity Project) I thought this would be a great way to give support to her op-ed.

vrsfanatic

No problem. I just knew as I was reading the article that Ms. Howard was not the author. Sure enough, she is not.

• Momof3darlings changed the title to Articles: Where Is Your Outrage? Article by Theresa Ruth Howard - MOBBallet