Ballet Talk for Dancers
DanceMumNYC

Value of online/Zoom SI for younger dancers?

TipToes

Mine is actually in the second week of an online SI. She’s really enjoying it. They have three to four hours a day, so less than a regular SI, but she wouldn’t want any more via zoom. Every weekday has a two hour technique class then things like mat class, yoga, conditioning, ballet history, pantomime, meet the artist, etc. She has about 20 kids in her level, and from the little bit I’ve heard, their technique teacher seems wonderful. She is constantly giving corrections to all the girls. My DD says she is the kind of teacher DD wants to be someday — super particular but delivers corrections in a way that encourages you. The level is lower than what she is used to, but it’s been just what she needed as her home studio had combined her level with the two above it, and had her doing things she hasn’t yet learned without giving her any corrections. This slower pace with smaller classes and continuous corrections has helped her find her love of dance again. She will be done in two more weeks so will still have plenty of summer to rest, cross train, and just be a kid. I’m sure she would have been fine without it, but this year was supposed to be her first away SI. We decided to stick with the place she had planned to attend when they switched to online at a much reduced price.