Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Libertalia

Starting late

Libertalia

Hi! 

I am a 14 years and 8 months old girl from norway. I started dance ballet in september 2019, and love it! The dance school I going to, only have one class a week for my (low) level. But in january, a teacher from Colombia (earlier professional) start having classes, so until corona came, I danced two times in week. (I have also doing stepping for two years). The semester ended in May (!?!), so I have taken a pair privat lessons. In the befinner class, we had 15 minutes for pointe work, only strenght. I am not flexible, and my wrists do not "came over". Sorry for my bad english... 

I wish I had discovered ballet much earlier, I love it so much. In the place I live, it is not big enough focus on ballet, so I can bet.. In high school, I can wether start at a dance line, or move to Oslo, and dance Beside the school. The national ballet school in Oslo is impossible to join. I am to unflexible and bad. I will bet, but dont know if it is possible.. 

Can someone relate? 

luv_marachk

I actually can relate! (Don't worry about your english it's pretty good) I started in June 2019, at 12, so a little earlier than you, but I've had a lot of struggles as well. It's very difficult for a late starter because everyone else starts at 3 or 4 while we start during teen or pre-teen, and there's a lot to work on to catch up with the others. Sometimes it's humiliating because your saut de chat isn't open enough, or you can't do a double pirouette, but you've got to learn to push through it and practice, and eventually you'll see improvement (I did ankle strengthening exercises and the teacher said I was almost ready for pointe). I live halfway across the globe but I'm hoping for the best for you!