Ballet Talk for Dancers
Mconti

Virtual College Auditions?

Mconti

Hi there!  My daughter is a rising senior interested in dancing in college.  I noticed at least one college (Butler) has announced they will not hold any in-person auditions for students applying for admission in Fall 2021.  Has anyone heard of other colleges announcing online-only auditions?  I check the various college websites frequently, but most have not updated this information yet.  Maybe people could post as they learn college plans?  Thanks!

threegirlpileup

From what I am hearing many or most schools are doing virtual auditions.   This is about the time of year that schools start posting their audition schedules for the following year, so I'd guess that schools will have that information available soon.  If my daughter's school is any indication, the faculty and schools are scrambling to figure out how to make the teaching and learning part of the year work, so I wouldn't be surprised if the audition plans come a little later than usual.

dancingjet

I went to see what Utah was doing and was surprised to see that they have two on-campus auditions planned:

https://www.dance.utah.edu/apply/ballet/undergraduates/undergraduate-admission-auditions

Time will tell if they'll be able to do those or not. They do not have any audition tour dates published and I'd be surprised if they held any auditions off-campus.

Kimg

USC (and as noted above, Butler) seems to be taking video auditions but others seem to be holding out.  

Ecourtney

Oklahoma University is doing video only auditions. I am concerned about this as it does not give the dancers a chance to experience the teaching style and determine if the program is a good fit for them.