Ballet Talk for Dancers

Virtual training for next 20/21 school year

Hi all, 

I haven't read anything similar yet, so I thought I will start one. 

Currently, my kid doesn't have any school to go to this incoming school year. We don't feel safe for her to go back into the studio yet, but from what I have gathered, most schools have not decided if next year (or semester) will be online. Schools in my area have either not sure what will happen or stated that they will do in person classes. Does any family know any school that will offer online program? 

Academic school is about to start, as well as some other activities, so not having ballet schedule done is pretty stressful. Hope to hear some thoughts on this issue! Thank you! 

Noodles

I am assuming that many studios will be offering an online component as the safety of in person training seems to be so up in the air right now. 

I know that my dancer's home studio is proposing a hybrid program where they rotate the days that the dancers come in for class...Mon/Wed/Fri and Tues/Thurs/Sat or some variation of that.

The new school that my dancer is moving to, in another state, will also offer a hybrid training program and we are not yet clear what that means. She may  not even know until classes begin in Sept. Things change so rapidly I think everyone is afraid to plan too far in advance.

Thanks, Noodles! 

I agree that everyone is afraid to plan too far in advance. Some ballet schools are holding auditions even without knowing next semester's plan. I guess we will just have to audition some, and see if anything will fit into my daughter's schedule. 

My daughter attended her first hybrid class today. She was doing the online component while most students were in-person.

It was terrible and very unfair to those on zoom.  I do not know how the teachers believe they will pull this off. I am now looking for a fully virtual program for her to attend. 

beehive1

AGS10 I appreciate your input. I've been wondering how an instructor could honestly focus on in-person students and zoom at the same time - I feel like there'd almost have to be two instructors in the room so one could focus solely on that screen. We are starting virtually for all students but as things open up in that area our student may be one of a few still on Zoom as the months progress, so that has been a concern.

I am starting to believe that the only way that hybrid models can work is if those who are not in the studio have a different instructor conducting a zoom class designed for students at home.

We are not permitted to name programs by name here are we? If that's correct would anyone please privately message me if you find an exclusive zoom only class that intends to run for the year? Thanks.

Moderator Hat on: Polar, I believe one can say program X, Y, and Z note on their website that they are having virtual classes this year.  We do not want to ask people where their dancer attends school.  We also want shared conversation rather than private conversation when the situation permits or calls for open discussion.  Thank you!

Thank you Bavalay for pointing out the rules. 

I have found that Colorado Ballet Academy is doing fully virtual classes for the foreseeable future -- most likely, at least the Fall semester. The semester starts on August 17.

Bavalay, thank you! I appreciate the guidance. I'd love to hear any resources by name if anyone knows of any that are specifically offering virtual only (even if small group cohorts). I can find many that promote hybrid but not exclusively virtual.

MomtoSamtheDancer

My DS, along with four other students, have been taking virtual classes with Veyette Virtual Ballet School since March. He has been really impressed with teaching and their ability to get down to the details with regard to the corrections. They've had six different teachers depending on the class e.g. technique, rep, contemporary, etc. VVBS does no in-person classes so they are set up to teach via zoom and are extremely good at it. The teachers are current or former dancers from New York City Ballet, Pennsylvania Ballet and Miami City Ballet.

Most schools starting the year virtually seem to be hoping to reopen at some point. I know my DDs school is limiting class sizes so that when they are allowed to reopen they will be able to keep kids distanced. You will probably have to find a school that allows students to enroll month-to-month rather than a school that requires auditions for an entire school year. 

Onkidonk
On 8/12/2020 at 9:59 AM, Polar said:

We are not permitted to name programs by name here are we? If that's correct would anyone please privately message me if you find an exclusive zoom only class that intends to run for the year? Thanks.

I believe that BBASI is planning on running a virtual program. Perhaps there is some information on their website?

Edited by Onkidonk
We received a survey via email, if this is desirable. However we are on the mailing list from a few years ago, when my dancer was doing an intensive there.

Onkidonk I'm not seeing anything yet, I will link if I find it will you please do the same if you do? That would be incredible if true.

Onkidonk

Perhaps you can reach out to them. I think they are still surveying about the interest and need. I can pm you with the info that I have, if you'd like