• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blanche

• slhogan

• backstagemom

• all things ballet

mylildancer, you and I must have similarly slow mail delivery persons! Last week, out of the blue, we received a letter from Houston Ballet saying they were forwarding last years schedule to all of us, due to a large amount of inquiries. Of course, it is subject to change. The letter was dated April 19. I have last years level 7 schedule. It is quite extensive. If you'd like, I'll type it up for you, or maybe someone else is feeling more ambitious!

I am interested in the year-round schedule. I got the summer schedule in the mail too. Thanks though. :)

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know about the Two Track Program? I don't quite understand if this is an open division or if they even offer ballet for the older people in this program.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone!

Hope this information hasn't been asked because I've been searching but couldn't find it on this site :)

Heres my LIST of questions about HBII: :blink:

1) I know you can be 15 or 16 to get into the program but do they often take dancers at this age?

2) Do I need to go to thye HBII audition or can I go to the Summer Intensive audition?

3) What do they do for students still in high school?

I heard they either have students get GED's or do independent study, Is this true?

4) Do the dancers get paid?

I emailed HB2 and they said tuition is 2, 900-3,000 for a year

5) Are there dorms, food, good teaching?

If any one knows any info on this it waold be graeatly appreciated! :wacko:

Some of your questions are answered on Houston Ballet's website, mostly here, and on a couple of other spots on their website. Maybe someone else will chime in with first hand information.

California Dancer,

I moved your post here, as HBII is part of the Academy and some of your questions are answered on this thread. I think you can answer at least one of your questions yourself. If the student is paying tuition, then they are not also going to be receiving a salary. :)

Some of your questions are answered on Houston Ballet's website, mostly here, and on a couple of other spots on their website. Maybe someone else will chime in with first hand information.

thank you for your link! :wacko: I tried to fnid it on their website but didn't see it! So thanks a bunch it answered almost all my questions. I'm still unsure about one thing :) and i think the link may have said the answer but it wasn't very clear.

Can students interested in auditioning for HB2 audition at a summer intensive site?

Normally, students audition for the summer program and then once there they audition for HBII in July.

I noticed that one can audition for HBII during the Houston Ballet Company Audition this year.

There will also be an HBII audition set date shortly in Houston late April or early May. I still recommend that

you check with HB directly about this as things can change each year.

• 3 months later...

For the students who stay yearround, how do they find the time to complete their high school eductation through correspondence programs if my understanding is correct that they dance from 9 - 6:30 daily? Do the students who reside in the townhouses do their own grocery shopping and cooking? Is it essential for them to posess a driver's license in order to function on a day to day basis?

The dancers complete their education through a distance learning program like Educere, Indiana University High School, Texas Tech, Brigham Young, etc. The grocery store and ballet studio are within walking distance and most don't have cars. They cook their own meals. The only time that they need a car is during theatre rehearsals and they try to catch rides with friends or through a car pool system that is set up by the head of the school.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone tell us first hand where the HB2 students ended this year? Were any taken into the Company, and if not, did they find other jobs elsewhere?

From last years HBII five went to PBT Graduate Program, 4 became HB Apprentices, 1 HB Corps de ballet position, 1 Indiana University, 1 University of South Carolina, 6 into second year of HBII, and two I don't know about.

From last years HBII five went to PBT Graduate Program, 4 became HB Apprentices, 1 HB Corps de ballet position, 1 Indiana University, 1 University of South Carolina, 6 into second year of HBII, and two I don't know about.

One decided to pursue training as a nutritionist at Texas A&M.

• 4 months later...
  • Noodles changed the title to Houston Ballet Academy