Ballet Talk for Dancers

Houston Ballet Academy

Our daughter is possibly being considered for year-round ballet boarding school. We are becoming a bit stressed trying to figure out where this train is headed!! :shrug:

My husband has the possibility of transferring to Houston. Instead of sending her to this other year-round boarding school, we are wondering if she could train at the same intensity as a yr-round residency, at Houston Ballet's Ben Stevenson Academy - if we can transfer to Houston.

She is 13 and will be 14 years old soon. I have checked the HB website and it doesn't say too much about the Academy for this age. Do they accept girls this age? Or, is it for older dancers?

We homeschool so she would be able to stay at home with us and train at HB's Ben Stevenson Academy instead of attending a boarding school, but I'm not sure if this is the way it operates in Houston?

Any info. on this arrangement idea? :lol:

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blanche

• slhogan

• backstagemom

• all things ballet

The youngest student I have seen in the Level 8 and HBII levels at Houston Ballet Ben Stevenson Academy is 15. I think it really depends on what level in the school the artistic staff would place your daughter. I highly recommend that you call the school and speak to them about how to arrange an audition. They are easy to talk to and I'm certain will be happy to hear from you. Under level 8, the classes are after normal school hours, but for Level 8 and HBII they normally begin at 9AM and go throughout the day.

My husband has the possibility of transferring to Houston. Instead of sending her to this other year-round boarding school, we are wondering if she could train at the same intensity as a yr-round residency, at Houston Ballet's Ben Stevenson Academy... She is 13 and will be 14 years old soon. I have checked the HB website and it doesn't say too much about the Academy for this age. Do they accept girls this age? Or, is it for older dancers?

HBA has levels 1-8 plus HBII. It's an audition-only program, and there are many students your daughter's age. They would typically be in levels 5-7 (they go on pointe during level 4). This post has this year's class schedule listed (so you can see how it compares to the programs you were looking at):

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?...ndpost&p=328488

Houston's a great place to live!

piquetoes,

Has your daughter already auditioned for the Houston's SI and if so what level was she placed in? Which boarding school is she being considered for? My son and daughter are both in level 8 year round and like happyfeet24 said the youngest in both 8 and HBII is 15 with most dancers between the ages of 16 - 19. Happyfeet24 is right on in what she says about the Academy. There is a lot to be considered besides age. Houston does not place according to age but ability. How long has your daughter been on point? As slhogan stated they begin point in level 4, so her proficiency in point will also be a consideration. Houston is a major program and, as stated, is by audition only. Many of the dancers that go to the SI do not get accepted into the year round program. Houston has quite possibly the best training program in the country, if not the best certainly one of the best.

And I agree, Houston is a great place to live too.

Thank you so much for such quick and informative responses. :clapping: Yes, I realize age isn't a criteria for making placement decisions, I just didn't know if there is a program for this age group in general at Houston Ballet.

Yes, she did audition for Houston's SI and was accepted into L5. She will be going into the Harid SI and we are concerned about her moving away from home (IF she would be asked) but are not certain the current training at homeschool is suitable for the long-term goal of professional dancer.

My husband is eventually going to transfer to Houston so we thought we would just speed up that move so she can get good training at 14 instead of later on AND keep our family together.

Does this sound crazy? I feel like we are in looney-ville with all of this talk of residency and moving to Houston plans, etc.

As I understand the advice given, we need to have her audition for Houston's Yr-round Academy, see what level she would be placed and see if Houston will even be a ballet option. It looks like for her age, the training at Harid would be more rigorous than the L5 yr. round schedule...

:D

This does NOT sound crazy. You are looking ahead, and already have a sense of what the ballet world requires in terms of dedication, training, and consequences to your family! And if you are choosing to keep her living at home, being in a place where she can get the training she needs makes sense, especially since you will be moving to Houston anyway. Perhaps you could communicate more with the people in Houston, visit the school, and get as much information on the fit of school to child as possible before making this decision. If Harid seems like an option for you, in terms of her boarding, you will have a lot more information about this program and whether it would be a good fit for her, by the end of July. Best of luck to you!

Actually it does not sound crazy at all. It sounds like me. :P I am also 13 and will be 14 this week! I have auditioned for Houston and have been accepted and am waiting for my year-round results from Walnut Hill (I was accepted to their summer program on scholarship). I think we (my parents & I) have decided that we will probably go with Houston even though this means my mom will quit her job and have to find a new one in Houston and my parents will be living apart for 4 years, or at least the immediate future. I will be leaving my friends & everybody but my mom behind. But this is what it takes--actually I am really excited!! This is my next step to making my dreams come true. I can't wait! :)

Edited by dancegirl894
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know about the Nutcracker for the Houston Ballet? When are auditions? Do you have to be a year-round student?

Thanks

Does anyone know about the Nutcracker for the Houston Ballet? When are auditions? Do you have to be a year-round student? Thanks

Year round students receive a letter in September inviting them to audition. The auditions are only open to students, but if you have a boy I think that rule is flexible (some boys in my son's cast were not academy students). A lot of the casting is based on height as they re-use costumes each year.

Does anyone know about the Nutcracker for the Houston Ballet? When are auditions? Do you have to be a year-round student? Thanks

Year round students receive a letter in September inviting them to audition. The auditions are only open to students, but if you have a boy I think that rule is flexible (some boys in my son's cast were not academy students). A lot of the casting is based on height as they re-use costumes each year.

That explains my confusion!!

Thanks,

Debby

• 8 months later...

The townhouse (dorm) is walking distance to the studio and also close to the grocery store, bank and post office. The dorm houses a total of 12 dancers, at this point only girls. Actually this townhouse has 2 sides with 6 dancers on each side sharing 3 bedrooms and 3 baths on each side, and the chaperone has her own little apartment downstairs. The girls are assigned chores to keep the townhouse clean and they are responsible for their own bathrooms. They cook and do laundry for themselves.

• Noodles changed the title to Houston Ballet Academy