Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dance Belts

Godfather

Hi For a dance belt I recommend a thong back dance belt, in natural, and I suggest a Capezio men’s cotton quilted dance belt, they are very comfortable and they last well. But definitely get the thong back it will give you better lines under your tights, trust me you’ll get used to it.

With black tights, I'd wear black, thong with full waist. My son and I prefer the Wear Moi ones, which have wider thongs than the Capezio ones and are better padded too (we prefer not to advertise too much). Opinions differ though, so I'd get whatever is easiest for you to obtain and then experiment at your leisure. I wouldn't bother with a full seat one.

Johnny Simpatico

As someone pointed out in another comment, the Dance Jox dance belt is built to last. Plus, when wearing it, no details of the genitals are visible -- which I can't say for some other models -- and it provides a marvelous level of support and enhancement. Dance Jox the Wonderbra of dance belts.

Unfortunately finding the size and cut of a dance belt that works for you and your body is for everyone a trial and error process.  I suppose it is very much the same way for women finding the best brassier for their body parts.  I think I've purchased maybe six different belts, and for me the Dance Jox and Mariia Kamil (current favorite) are most suitable.   The cost of trying different models is just part of the deal.  Much like finding tights that work for you.  That said, its always good to consider for guidance the experiences others have had.  You will certainly know when you find one that works for you!

• 2 weeks later...
would-be-dancer

Hello everyone,

I'm about to start ballet lessons for the first time (gulp) and to be honest I am a bit daunted by this topic of wearing a thong-back dance belt.  I think the belt is worn like underpants (i.e the fist thing one puts on).  If one wears tights that should show separate gluteal presentation does the leo also need to have a thong back rather than a full-seat?

Would this item (below) get round the issue of the need to have two separate thong strings in between?  And finally what are people's thoughts on this item as a dance belt in terms of quality, comfort and front  'presentation':

Wear Moi Horacio Men’s V-Neck Leotard with attached Dance Belt.

Thanks for any and all help,

Peter

Edited by ascballerina
removed embedded photo and changed it to a link

I have a similar one from them, as does my son, and they’re really nice but don’t stress about dance belts.

There’s lots of threads here about them: we like the Wear Moi ones that have a wider thong we find more comfortable and they’re better padded than some of the others, but other people differ. 

Separate dance belts mean you can change up the other layers more easily and are exactly the same as the built in one in that leotard. 

Are you dancing somewhere with a very formal uniform policy?

Edited by Colman
would-be-dancer

This has been a bit worrying and I'm grateful for your advice.

ascballerina

Moderation hat on: would-be-dancer, welcome to Ballet Talk!  In general, we do not allow duplicate posts.  Given you posted the same post on this topic and on its own thread (I think perhaps you found this thread after you initially posted your own?), I have merged the two.  

would-be-dancer

Please accept my apology for the duplicate post, ascballerina and thank you for merging them.

would-be-dancer
4 hours ago, Colman said:

I have a similar one from them, as does my son, and they’re really nice but don’t stress about dance belts.

There’s lots of threads here about them: we like the Wear Moi ones that have a wider thong we find more comfortable and they’re better padded than some of the others, but other people differ. 

Separate dance belts mean you can change up the other layers more easily and are exactly the same as the built in one in that leotard. 

Are you dancing somewhere with a very formal uniform policy?

I'm only just starting out, Colman but I didn't want to get off to a bad start and wear the wrong things.  I think where I was getting muddled up was with wearing a leotard with a dance belt (and thereby doubling up what passes underneath the wearer) I still don't see how that's avoidable with a thong leotard but have realised that most male dancers wear a tee.  One question regarding that how is a visible tee hem avoided?  Sorry to be a pain.

1 minute ago, would-be-dancer said:

One question regarding that how is a visible tee hem avoided?

Proper dance shorts and tights are very high waisted and the T-shirt should be fitted so it’s seldom a problem. 

would-be-dancer
22 minutes ago, Colman said:

Proper dance shorts and tights are very high waisted and the T-shirt should be fitted so it’s seldom a problem. 

That's great information and advice for which I'm grateful.

13 minutes ago, would-be-dancer said:

That's great information and advice for which I'm grateful.

If you look at the Wear Moi shorts (since you raised the brand), you'll see they come up quite high - and you can add suspenders to make sure they stay up, which is useful for those of us with a less traditional ballet physique. 

StormTrouper

For some men and boys, wearing just a leotard with tights over them is acceptable, both practically and aesthetically. It is more usual, however, to wear a supporter along with a leotard or a tee shirt (which can be worn tucked in or not depending on the teacher / studio / school / academy / summer intensive dress code.)  The leo can be full or thong back.

A full seat style leo or dance belt supporter isn’t that big of a deal... the same ‘line’ (due to the elastic edge of garment leg holes surrounding each leg) is common to leotards worn by female dancers.  So the choice is yours, though the thong style is the more commonly practiced (I’m not sure whether the ‘more popular’ is accurate) and thus the more widely available and followed option. Suit yourself, literally.

The one piece top and bottom of Wear Moi is tricky because they are cut for a typical dancers physique.  Unlike female leos, which come in both regular and tall for longer torsos (girth measurement: circling shoulder through crotch) Wear Moi doesn’t offer Tall (or Wide) cuts for males.  I don’t have a tall torso, yet the girth was too tight for my chest size; so I had to remove all of the waist stitching in order to relieve the constricting crotch-to-shoulders sizing.  (Detaching the waist band stitching allowed greater stretch in the torso of the leo fabric.  Because I sew my own costumes I could make the necessary alteration, which involved restitching the front zipper, which is not a basic alteration).  

The other drawback is that the one piece has to be laundered after every use so you need two or three in rotation if you want to wear the item daily.  (I air dry rather than use a hot dryer, and padded dance belts take a day to dry.)

Edited by StormTrouper
would-be-dancer
On 9/30/2020 at 9:59 AM, StormTrouper said:

For some men and boys, wearing just a leotard with tights over them is acceptable aesthetically. It is more usual, however, to wear a supporter along with a leotard or a tee shirt (which can be worn tucked in or not depending on the teacher / studio / school / academy / summer intensive dress code.)  The leo can be full or thong back.

A full seat style leo or dance belt supporter isn’t that big of a deal... the same ‘line’ (due to the elastic edge of garment leg holes surrounding each leg) is what leotards for females share.

The one piece top and bottom of Wear Moi is tricky because they are cut for a typical dancers physique.  Unlike female leos, which come in both regular and tall for longer torsos (girth measurement: circling shoulder through crotch) Wear Moi doesn’t offer Tall (or Wide) cuts for males.  I don’t have a tall torso, yet the girth was too tight for my chest size; so I had to remove all of the waist stitching in order to relieve the constricting crotch-to-shoulders sizing.  (Detaching the waist band stitching allowed greater stretch in the torso of the leo fabric.  Because I sew my own costumes I could make the necessary alteration, which involved restitching the front zipper, which is not a basic alteration).  

The other drawback is that the one piece has to be laundered after every use so you need two or three in rotation if you want to wear the item daily.  (I air dry rather than use a hot dryer, and padded dance belts take a day to dry.)

Thank you.  That's my worry.  I have quite a big chest and so might also struggle.  My waist is 27", I'm 5'6" tall but no idea of my girth.  Is that similar to you and if so I might steer clear of the Wear Moi one-piece because I'm no good with alterations?