Ballet Talk for Dancers

Boarding schools with ballet programs

yatuzo

Thank you in advance for help with this.  I looked through the archives but did not see anything current so posting again.

My daughter is 14 and loves ballet.  We are american but live in the Middle East where options are limited.  I do not want to send her to a ballet school, per se, but I am exploring traditional boarding schools where she could do a lot of dance.  Will will apply to St. Pauls and to Deerfield but eager to hear whether there are others that we should consider.  I don't want a cutthroat high school experience for her and I also want a school that values diversity.  I welcome your feedback.  

yatuzo, we maintain a policy of not comparing various programs because what is perfect for one dancers, is wrong for another. None of us here are able to advise you on a program for your dancer and your family situation, however we do have a section called Pre-Professional Schools/Residence Programs. You can read about many many programs on the thread to get a feel for each of the programs listed. You can also post specific questions on specific programs and people who have experience with the program can give feedback. https://dancers.invisionzone.com/forum/147-pre-professional-schoolsresidence-programs/

There are not a tremendous amount fo programs which actually include high school academics. Harid, and Nutmeg/Boston come to mind, perhaps others will chime in with specific programs that include academics for you to research. Many do offer internal support but leave the academics the family/dancer to work out. Your best bet is probably to spend some time reading the the link above and making a list of which ones seem to fit your need.

If you are looking at St. Paul's, etc. it sounds like you are more interested in a boarding school with a good ballet program as an extracurricular.  Many of the boarding schools have this - I suggest looking at the college confidential website which has a prep school section.  There have been previous questions about dance.  Good luck!

Walnut Hill now incorporates Boston Ballet school into their college prep academic as of Fall 2019.  You can find some information in the Pre-pro residencies link that Noodles provided. I would read both Boston Ballet thread and Walnut Hill threads.

On 10/12/2020 at 6:27 PM, Noodles said:

yatuzo, we maintain a policy of not comparing various programs because what is perfect for one dancers, is wrong for another. None of us here are able to advise you on a program for your dancer and your family situation, however we do have a section called Pre-Professional Schools/Residence Programs. You can read about many many programs on the thread to get a feel for each of the programs listed. You can also post specific questions on specific programs and people who have experience with the program can give feedback. https://dancers.invisionzone.com/forum/147-pre-professional-schoolsresidence-programs/

There are not a tremendous amount fo programs which actually include high school academics. Harid, and Nutmeg/Boston come to mind, perhaps others will chime in with specific programs that include academics for you to research. Many do offer internal support but leave the academics the family/dancer to work out. Your best bet is probably to spend some time reading the the link above and making a list of which ones seem to fit your need.

On 10/12/2020 at 6:27 PM, Noodles said:

Thank you.  I appreciate the reply.  I don't actually want to know which is good, not good, but rather which I should consider as I am not finding a lot of information on traditional boarding schools that offer dance and thought maybe some people on this board had suggestions of what to consider.  Thx!

On 10/12/2020 at 7:01 PM, dancenc said:

If you are looking at St. Paul's, etc. it sounds like you are more interested in a boarding school with a good ballet program as an extracurricular.  Many of the boarding schools have this - I suggest looking at the college confidential website which has a prep school section.  There have been previous questions about dance.  Good luck!

Thank you!  I will look again and see what I can find.  I appreciate your reply. 

On 10/12/2020 at 7:30 PM, Adf said:

Walnut Hill now incorporates Boston Ballet school into their college prep academic as of Fall 2019.  You can find some information in the Pre-pro residencies link that Noodles provided. I would read both Boston Ballet thread and Walnut Hill threads.

Thank you for the reply and the help.

yatuzo, in order to keep the flow of information easy to follow and easy to read, please do not quote the entire section of text that you are replying to. If there is a specific point that you wish to quote, that is fine but please keep it at a minimum. 

As I said, all of the established programs are listed in the link that I posted above. You can dive in there and do some reading and quickly be able to narrow down your search. My suggestion would be to make a list of the things that you are looking for (academics, housing, meals, tutoring etc), then you will be better able to identify the programs that meet your dancer's needs. When you have narrowed the field a bit you can ask questions on the designated threads of the schools that you think are a good fit in order to get more specific information. 

Mom de deux

The Grier School in central Pennsylvania is a boarding school with a ballet program integrated into their curriculum. My DD has known a couple of their day students who were also taking classes at our studio a few years back. It is definitely more of a boarding school program than a pre-pro ballet program as far as I can tell.

Marzipandreams

Grier has all forms of dance.

Blackseal

My daughter is a current senior at Grier and part of their Pre-Professional dance program.  She gets exceptional training in all dance forms. The pre-pros dance from about 1pm - 6pm daily, so they do get a lot of training. There is definitely a lot of ballet, probably about 2 hours a day, but there are no specific pointe classes, so that might be a downside.  They will do pointe every now and then, but because some of the girls have never been on pointe, it is limited.  They also bring in a ton of well known choreographers to work with the girls, so they get a lot of exposure (obviously not this year with covid though :))  Definitely a traditional boarding school vibe, it's a very small all girls school that has a nice family feel to it. Worth checking out if she is interested in other dance forms in addition to ballet.  The dancers have gone on to some very well known and competitive college programs with scholarships in hand!

momofaboy

There was a thread that had a listing of many "brick and mortar" programs. Brick and Mortar thread  Some of its info is out of date though. For example, Boston Ballet's pre-professional program is now merged with Walnut Hill. It's a good starting place though.